View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 10:54 PM

Can You Help Build the Many Tears Rescue Puppy unit?

Please please please help Many Tears rescue build a purpose built puppy block, so they can save many more dogs.

I will let Sylvia Explain (taken from Sylvias blog):

12-01-10 Saturday came along with numerous calls asking if we were coming to pick up dogs in Ireland. Some could hang on a little but then would have no space for the ones going to die in the pounds, some had no time left. But it's snowy here I thought and the forecast is worse but then again how could I sleep if I did not go? So I asked Bill would he come and we decided to go for it.
It was freezing at midnight when we set off. I had by pink poodle PJs on under my jeans and layers and layers of vests, jumpers etc. Bill was so tired we climbed into the van and he was snoozing. All the cages were lined with warm fluffy vet bed and the water container thawed (in my bath water previously) ready for the new intake. Towels hung on the doors to act as draft excluders and special chicken and rice packs were ready to tempt our new friends with.
The drive to the ferry was beautiful, white glittering trees, but potentially lethal road. I drove slowly. We got on the ferry and it started rocking more and more and more. Bill slept - I agonized over what the day would bring. We drove off the ferry to an icy Ireland and stopped for some breakfast then drove on through iced roads and snow storms - extreme weather and extreme beauty.
We met people at pubs car parks, shops car parks, factory car parks and derelict home drives. We loaded our charges. Their rescuers brought them to us gratefully and we in turn are forever grateful to those who saved all these 52 dogs and pups lives. 25 years ago all these adult dogs would have died by the powers of a bolt gun and pithing, but an animal lover having witnessed hundreds dying and documented how many suffered so badly even though in the hands of expert shooters and pithers (those who had done thousands) managed to get the equivalent to the RSPCA out in Ireland to see sense make it illegal and stop this. Sadly it is our RSPCA who are continuing to use this method, not just for injured wildlife, which they are highlighting, but for our dogs (man's VERY best friend). Yes I am am still heart broken by this and still need you to print off the form and take it to your vet and get them all to sign - PLEASE.
Anyway I have strayed from my story. Once all loaded we arrived with little time to spare at the dock. We watered, fed and petted the new inmates, especially Herta Frankfuta who felt it his given right to ride up front and navigate. On the ferry we crashed out on the seats and I slept as did Bill for 3 hours. We got in back to Many Tears at 2am and James cheerful as ever and his brother John met us. The kennels were neatly made up with warm blankets and the heat lamps glowed from the shut kennels keeping them snug ready for the new dogs. As we got them off they were all fed a small warm meal and put to bed. By 3.30am Bill and I to were in bed but by 5.30 I was up again, meeting and greeting the new guys, worming, innoculating, micro chipping and getting them on our database. Some where bathed and all had their pictures taken.
The are all so special - all giving, all trying to trust us. I am blessed to have these new friends, but you know me I guess(!) -know I want more!!!! We use the surgery and the vet's crates for the tiny pups but I want to build a puppy unit especially for these tiny pups, as I need the surgery for those being spayed and neutered. I know this will cost around £10 thousand pounds and hope you may like to help. If you can find a pub or somewhere with good human traffic that could put a collection tin together with this poster

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/manytear.../PuppyUnit.pdf

which tells the donators what we were saving for. The tin would be chained down with a padlock and check chain. You would need to empty the tin every 2 months or if filled sooner more often and send in a cheque to us. We could then send a receipt showing the donators how much they raised. So what do you think? A little effort for maybe big result!!! Call us if you can do this and I will order the collection tins.
So today finished with cleaning pups once again - was it a hardship? No it was a privilege!!! Again THANK YOU to all those wonderful people in Ireland who help us save so many lives and to all you for helping us to be able to do this.