Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2010, 02:19 PM

Wireless - Which provider?

Hey all!

I am wanting to switch my broadband to wireless but with sooooo many providers out there, my brain hurts!!

So, my lovely peeps....HELP!!!

Who are you with?
What do you pay?
Do you get a good service?
Would you recommend?

All opinions welcome
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-02-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm a little confused. If you already have broadband - and are happy with it - why do you want to change provider?

Going from a direct cable connection to the modem to a wireless one is simply an 'internal' arrangement in your house.

What you require is a wireless router to connect to your modem. Most modern laptops connect wirelessly to such routers.

If your machine does not - either because it is an older laptop or a desktop then you will also require either a USB or card wireless connector to fit on your machine to enable it to recieve wireless signals.

Any competent computer dealer will guide you as to which router and receivers are suitable. They will work with any Broadband provider.

Hope that helps
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by mrphilip View Post
I'm a little confused. If you already have broadband - and are happy with it - why do you want to change provider?

Going from a direct cable connection to the modem to a wireless one is simply an 'internal' arrangement in your house.

What you require is a wireless router to connect to your modem. Most modern laptops connect wirelessly to such routers.

If your machine does not - either because it is an older laptop or a desktop then you will also require either a USB or card wireless connector to fit on your machine to enable it to recieve wireless signals.

Any competent computer dealer will guide you as to which router and receivers are suitable. They will work with any Broadband provider.

Hope that helps
Thanks for the reply, I want to switch my broadband to wireless but I wanted to know what deals people have, i'm not particulaly happy with what I get now, which is why I am asking other peoples opinions on what they have.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi Jules,
We are with BT option 3 unlimited usage,we are running two laptops wireless and the desktop wireless from the one connection.
We haven't had any issue's with it and have just renewed the contract.
http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...ON-TOTAL-BB-R1
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Whatever you do avoid Virgin unless its Cable (i.e. not down a phone line)
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 04:03 PM
aol or talk talk....just got a new lappy from them
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Well I am going broadband for the first time next week. I have opted for the basic broadband package from BT.....hope thats sufficent.....fingers crossed I have BT already with dial up. But since getting the laptop have decided to go broadband.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
mrphilip
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-02-2010, 07:53 PM
One word of caution over BT broadband. We were on it for a few years - until the broadband signal failed.

I phoned BT up and they told me that it was working properly at the exchange - even though we could not get it at the house. I asked for an engineer to come and check it - even it it cost money.

The response I got was 'What would you do if we didn't send an engineer out?' I replied - go to Blueyonder as Virgin was then.

We did - and have had very good service from them.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

13-02-2010, 08:46 PM
No probs with BT here. We've got an older white BT Home Hub (Version 1.5) which has our desktop machine connected via ethernet cable, up to3 wireless devices at any one time AND the BT Vision box also via ethernet.

Just don't forget to change the default admin password and use WPA encryption if you can! I think I did a piece about wireless security in the not too distant past...
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that you can also join the Fon network (http://www.btfon.com/) so you allow other users to use a completely DMZ'd part of your bandwith in return for being to use other folks' if your out and about... A bit of a gimmick maybe, but it might come in handy one day...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >