Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 09:47 AM

Raspberry leaf tablets

Some of you might have read my other post in Gen dog chat.
My sons Collie (6yrs) is having a phantom pregnancy and rather than giving hormones, the vet has suggested trying raspberry leaf tablets (half the adult dose) from the health food shop.
Have any of you tried or heard of this? Does anyone have any other ideas?
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 01:28 PM
As far as I know raspberry leaf tea is thought to bring on contractions during pregnancy. You should not drink it if in the early stages of pregnancy. I was told this when I went though a healthy fruit tea phase and got some from Julian Graves, thinking it looked nice! The man behind the till asked me if I was pregnant and I said no and he explained that there were risks of miscarriage in the early stages through drinking it.

How it is used with a dog and phantom pregnacy through I am not sure.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
As far as I know raspberry leaf tea is thought to bring on contractions during pregnancy. You should not drink it if in the early stages of pregnancy. I was told this when I went though a healthy fruit tea phase and got some from Julian Graves, thinking it looked nice! The man behind the till asked me if I was pregnant and I said no and he explained that there were risks of miscarriage in the early stages through drinking it.

How it is used with a dog and phantom pregnacy through I am not sure.
Is he planning on sending her into a phantom labour or something?
Fizzy Chihuahua
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-02-2008, 02:03 PM
One of my girls has just come out of a false pregnancy , one day I noticed she seemed a little ' miserable ' , I took her to my vet who confirmed that she seemed to be starting a false pregnancy , she said I should try and keep her busy ( extra walks / playing etc ) to take her mind of of it .. this all worked and she is now happy again
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

fimberly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-02-2008, 02:44 PM
I have read conflicting things online about phantom pregnancies and know of several bitches that have gone through it. I am lucky that non of my own dogs have ever experienced this but I have read different ways of dealing with it.
What stage of the phantom pregnancy is your bitch at?
As mentioned above, raspberry leaf can produce miscarriages at early stages or bring on labour if later in people.
Did your vet mention what stage your bitch was at? and actually using raspberry leaf extract?
Most bitches can just ride it out with a bit of nesting and milking required.
hollie01
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-02-2008, 03:22 PM
I had also heard about using this when biches have a phantom, but i have never used it myself
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Hi well it would appear that Shaka is in the very early stages. The vet seemed to think that these tablets would ease her symptoms.
She went through this last year when she made nests and guarded all her toys in the nest.
Thanks for that very good link Colin I have sent it to my son so he can order some.
In the very near future he is going to have her spayed so that should stop the problem.
Thanks for all your help.
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Pulsatilla is better, Raspberry leaf is for assising in whelping.

Thalice Malice
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2008, 03:08 PM
What does Pulsatilla do please Thalice.
I haven't heard of that either. The website Colin gave does specifically mention pseudo pregnancies.
I think I might be a bit late now as son has bought the raspberry leaf.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >