Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2012, 12:16 PM

Dogs on trains

I don't drive, so if I go somewhere by myself I usually get the train for anything long distance. I usually use londonmidland or virgin trains.

A) Would I need to pay for another ticket?
B) What is the unwritten *code* surrounding this if any?

Thanks
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2012, 12:21 PM
Some domestic animals are permitted to travel with you (as set out in Appendix B). Animals are not allowed on seats in any circumstances.

The terms, conditions and restrictions for the carriage of luggage, articles and animals are set out in Condition 49 and Appendix B.

49. Restrictions

Any Train Company may refuse to accept an item of luggage, an article, an animal or a cycle, even though it meets the requirements set out in Condition 47 and 48 and Appendix B, if, in the opinion of its staff:

it may cause injury, inconvenience or a nuisance or it may cause damage to property;
there is not enough room for it;
the loading or unloading may cause delay to trains; or
it is not carried or packaged in a suitable manner.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Animals

7. You may take up to two dogs or other small domestic animals free of charge with you into the passenger accommodation of a train provided that they can be accommodated on the train service on which you are travelling. Animals, with the exception of blind or deaf persons' assistance dogs, may not be taken into buffet or restaurant cars. Animals are not generally allowed in sleeper accommodation; however dogs may be conveyed in sleeper cabins with the permission of the Train Company. You should apply for such permission at least 48 hours before you travel.

8. Animals other than a dog must be conveyed in a fully enclosed basket or pet carrier designed for this purpose with dimensions not exceeding 85 x 60 x 60 cm. Baskets and pet carriers must be large enough to allow the animal to stand and lie down in comfort. Animals which are too large for a basket or pet carrier with dimensions 85 x 60 x 60 cm may not be conveyed by train.

9. More than two domestic animals per passenger may be conveyed at the discretion of the Train Company, and may be charged for. Each train company is responsible for setting the charges that apply to animals conveyed in these circumstances; however, it will not exceed half the adult single fare for the journey or part of the journey over which the animal(s) are being conveyed by that Train Company. Train Companies will provide information about their policies covering the carriage of additional animals via their website and enquiry offices, or on request or from the Ticket Seller before you buy your ticket.

10. The Train Company may require that such animals are conveyed in a train's luggage van, if one is available. In such cases, a dog should be muzzled and its lead securely fastened as directed by Train Company staff. Baskets and pet carriers must be secure. Dogs and any baskets or pet carriers must be clearly labelled with your name, address and destination station. Staff may not hand over animals until you have proved ownership.

11. Dogs must be kept on a lead throughout your journey, including any part of station property; other animals must not be taken out of their baskets or pet carriers. If your dog or other animal causes a nuisance or inconvenience to other passengers you may be asked to remove it from a train or railway premises by the Train Company or Rail Service Company staff.
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Fab thanks
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 12:30 PM
With a Lab, you'll probably be fine. I imagine many people will even just assume it's a service dog! My brother always took the train with Kiki (Rottie x) but I remember when asking about whether my previous GSD would be OK, I got a right snooty look and a "Well, it'll depend on how busy it is, probably not..." that suggested that they didn't like the look of my dog and wouldn't be happy to let me on the train with her regardless of how busy
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Thats virgin trains ...

But members like ClaireandDaisy and Tupacs2legs take their dogs by train a lot, they may have real world knowledge ...
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 01:37 PM
I see dogs on the train all the time.

Before I had my car, I took my Lab on the train fairly often. I'd sit on the seats if it was quiet and Dex would sit and my feet. If it was a bit crowded, I'd get him to 'down' and I'd stand by the door with him.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 01:45 PM
We go on trains a lot for walks, holidays etc.
According to the rules two dogs go free. Over that, you pay a child fare for 3rd dog etc. I`ve only ever been chrged it once in 20-odd years. That was a ticket person who was notorious for being a jobsworth.
If I`m on a train I don`t know I ask the guard or someone the best place to go. All trains these days have a larger space somewhere for wheelchairs etc.
But mine tend to tuck in one of those double seats.
The Underground is a bit of a mission because they are gradually closing the lifts to avoid maintenance and I can`t carry 3 dogs up escalators. I have stopped them and walked up before now - but it doesn`t make you popular. So it pays to check access.
What you have to watch with trains is people not letting you off. They tend to try to charge through you in my area and the dogs get very upset, so I put them behind me and hold the door till I`m able to get off.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 02:47 PM
I used to take Rupert on the train pretty regularly. Never had to pay from him on either Arriva or Virgin but can't speak for other companies. We just sat somewhere out of the way and never had a problem on the train.

We did however run into a right jobsworth at one station who insisted I had to carry Rupert through the turnstile. Ended up creating a scene since I could barely bloody lift him never mind carry him through a turnstile and it ended with his boss coming down and opening the gate they use for pushchairs, wheelchairs etc for me like they did every other time.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2012, 04:32 PM
I have been on trains with dogs, all are taken as puppies.

I have also been on the Underground, I have not run into any problems but I only do it once in a blue moon.

Just do not put dogs on the seats.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >