Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 02:49 PM

Can dogs travel on trains?

Ok does anyone know whether dogs are permitted to travel on trains, or is it up to the indivual company as to whether they allow this??
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 03:12 PM
I know on First great western they allow up to 2 for free....not on seats obviously - I took siren up to banbury (involved a change at reading) the other day and it was fine.
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 03:17 PM
I regularly take the dogs on the train. I took my Wheaten, Frankie, down when she was still small enough to curl up on my lap and everybody thought she was wonderful! The ticket collector fell in love with her and went and bought her a bottle of water and a cup to drink it out of! I didn't have the heart to tell her I had water and a bowl in my bag
Sweep
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Found this on National Rail Site

Transporting animals by trainPassengers may take with them, free of charge and subject to conditions below, dogs, cats and other small animals (maximum two per passenger)
provided they do not endanger or inconvenience passengers or staff.
Dogs must be kept on a lead at all times unless contained in a basket.
Dogs without leads, cats, birds and small animals must be carried in an enclosed basket, cage or pet carrier. It must be rigid and not open
(to prevent escape) and the animal able to stand and lie down in comfort.
Animals and containers must not occupy seats, otherwise a charge will be made.
Animals are not allowed in restaurant cars except for blind persons' guide dogs or deaf persons' assistance dogs, which may be allowed into
the restaurant car at the Steward's discretion. However, every effort is made to serve meals at blind or deaf persons' seats within the normal seated accommodation.
Blind persons' guide dogs or deaf persons' assistance dogs are allowed on Sleeper services provided the blind or deaf person and dog are booked into single-cabin accommodation. The guide or assistance dog is conveyed free and no cleaning charge applied.
ScotRail allows dogs to accompany able-bodied passengers in Sleeper services subject to a charge for a heavy duty clean, and the booking must be either Standard Class with two people travelling together, otherwise a Solo supplement is payable for exclusive use of a twin-berth cabin.
Booking for all dogs travelling in Sleepers should be made at least 48 hours in advance.
Byelaw 16 allows the train company to refuse carriage or entry to any animal. If a customer objects to the presence of an animal, the owner must move it to another part of the train or put it in a suitable container in the guard's van/luggage van where available.
When dogs are carried in the guard's van/luggage van (other than those in a container) they must be secured with collar and chain and properly muzzled.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Thanks everyone, Sweep that last bit, about dogs in the gaurds van/luggage then I take it thats not normal pet dogs that go in there or is it?

Also is there any tips on keeping a pair of dogs that aren't use to going on trains occupied and non stressed on a three hour train journey (I'm hoping to try and build it up if possible), but from what I know the journey is a three and a half hour journey with no changes, and I don't know how the dogs will react to a train.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 03:34 PM
It was the first time I took Siren on the train - we had a 3 hour trip......I had a kong for her - but it didn;t work well as she kept loosing it undther the guy in fronts chair!

I guess it depends on your dogs - a couple of people asked me if I was worried aboutit with Siren, but it didn;t really cross my mind - she is a fairly chilled dog - even for a youngster (2) and she has been very used to lots of things.

I took a small ved for her as a security thing -but she didn't use it!

I would try and get a seat at the front of the carriage so they have a bit more room - it can be a bit of a pain as lots of people go up and down the isles to the cafe place.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Yes dogs can go on trains. Usually they travel free. In my area 2 go free but you have to pay a child fare for a third one. I use trains (and the Underground) frequently. Escalators are a problem on the Underground - sometimes it`s easier to get a taxi between London stations if you have to change.
Re. the guards van - I haven`t seen a guards van for years! - do they still have them?
If it`s a long journey I have a word with the guard about the best place to sit - they usually have somewhere for people with pushchairs etc.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Yes, they can.

I've travelled twice from Glasgow to London with Virgin Trains and National Express with one of my dogs for a dog show in London. Both companies were very accomodating and asked did we have enough space for the dog! She's only a small dog too! She was fussed over by some of the passengers and the ticket inspectors.

The journeys weren't much longer than 4 hours so toilet wise she was fine and she was impeccably behaved as well, she loved it.

She travelled for free every time.

ETA: She has also been on the tube.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Tilly is a regular train passenger and i've never had a problem. My old boy went from Brighton to Peterborough a few times and had to contend with kings cross station but it didnt phase him. most dogs settle quite well on trains. maybe a rawhide bone to chew on would be good as they dont roll around to much and take quite a while to chew.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the info everyone fingers crossed then when its time for us all to head on the train everything will go great with them
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >