Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2009, 02:27 PM

Nikon D3000 SLR

I'm considering buying the Nikon D3000 SLR camera and am after your opinions as if this would be a good choice for me. I need something that's user friendly and would like to be able to take some decent action shots. I have done some research but there are so many out there to choose from all I've really managed to do is confuse myself.
So would this be a good choice or would a different model be a better choice?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 03:38 PM
Nikons are OK, I use Canon and wouldnt swap having had 2 Nikon compacts, I find them difficult and fiddly to use. Id recommend you go to a store and hanlde all models you are interested in. You need a decent lens, a fast one pref if you want to do action.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Nikons are OK, I use Canon and wouldnt swap having had 2 Nikon compacts, I find them difficult and fiddly to use. Id recommend you go to a store and hanlde all models you are interested in. You need a decent lens, a fast one pref if you want to do action.
Thanks Dawn, what make and model would you recommend for what I want to do? It doesn't have to be Nikon.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 04:48 PM
I have an older model Canon and have to say its very user friendly, and have looked at nikons and found them to be less so.

have to agree with dawn, canon would be my choice too.( although I am off to buy a Panasonic tz7 in the next few weeks as my easy point and shoot camera, as preferred it to the comparable canon!!!)
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:11 PM
It's DSLR isn't it?

*KIDDING* that one was for Brundog.

We use Cannon. I bought it for my OH for Christmas because neither of us were getting on with the Nikon so just wanted to add my vote for cannon. Winner of Which manufacturer of the year award this year too.
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 06:49 PM
See I find the Canons awful to use. The menus are more intuitive on the Nikons! I think you will find its personal preference, and would be better off going down to your local cam shop and trying both brands x
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by Kanikula View Post
See I find the Canons awful to use. The menus are more intuitive on the Nikons! I think you will find its personal preference, and would be better off going down to your local cam shop and trying both brands x
Thats because you use a Nikon. The two Nikon compacts I had were ok, but handling the Canon before I bought it left me in little doubt. My boss had the Nikon D70s, then the D200 and now the D300, I found all of them difficult and fiddly, holding one bit down when you press another, two handed job which I didnt want.

Its just personal preference which is why its better to try before you buy. beware though, camera shop folk have preferences too! Go with what you feel comfortable with.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm just about to purchase my first full DSLR and i'm going with the Nikon D5000 which is next one up from the D3000 i think.

My brother in law convinced me to spend the extra £100 odd as apparently the sensor in the D5000 is far superior to the D3000.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Schnauzerbabe
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2009, 09:44 PM
We have a Canon 400D and we love it though it is now an outdated model it's very easy to use ... I think everyone is different in what their preferences are and as said before get an idea of what you want from your camera we always do our homework first What Digital Camera magazine is a good choice and has excellent reviews on camera's and allows you to get an idea of what you can expect that camera to perform for you.... Happy hunting
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Me.....I love my Sonys
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >