View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 07:29 PM

Would like (dog) book recommendations please :-)

Hi,

Would like some reading material and I would like 'dog books' so please recommend some!

Be interesting to hear which ones you have read and what you thought of them as well as which ones you want.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 07:35 PM
ps, also want a good 'brain games' book but the one I seen on Amazon, cant look inside so dont know if its any good?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 07:52 PM
i read a book called connie.. cant remember who wrote it but will try and find out. its about a woman who trains her newfoundland to be her assistance dog when she becomes ill. its really really good and not a long read either.

im looking to buy some breed specific books, as well as the book by billingshurt about how to rear pups on to raw food.

i want some more dog books. ive just bought some non dog books so need a dog book to balance it out also i want some clicker training books
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 08:06 PM
'Inside of a dog' is amazing!

I just read a fiction book called 'Dog boy' about a Russian feral boy brought up by dogs.... I also enjoyed Pen Farthings 'One dog at a time' and 'No place like home'.

'Finding Harmony', 'My life with George', 'Walking Ollie' and 'Along came Dylan'. The bad dog diaries (theres two) are fab too...,

Thats all I can remember off the top of my head!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 08:13 PM
God, I hated Life with George, the woman was so dumb at times that I wanted to chuck the book across the room!!!! Similarly with Marley and Me, half of that's dogs problems were caused by the owners

I have Endal but I haven't read it yet but I've heard it's good. If you want a non fiction book and haven't read it yet The Culture Clash is an interesting read.

I also want Brain Games...let me know of it's any good!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
i read a book called connie.. cant remember who wrote it but will try and find out. its about a woman who trains her newfoundland to be her assistance dog when she becomes ill. its really really good and not a long read either.

im looking to buy some breed specific books, as well as the book by billingshurt about how to rear pups on to raw food.

i want some more dog books. ive just bought some non dog books so need a dog book to balance it out also i want some clicker training books
OH, Iv'e read those books, the story about how she was ill in bed with her back and still trained Connie the Newfie and stuff and the little training guide that comes with it too.
Originally Posted by TeflonsShadow View Post
'Inside of a dog' is amazing!

I just read a fiction book called 'Dog boy' about a Russian feral boy brought up by dogs.... I also enjoyed Pen Farthings 'One dog at a time' and 'No place like home'.

'Finding Harmony', 'My life with George', 'Walking Ollie' and 'Along came Dylan'. The bad dog diaries (theres two) are fab too...,

Thats all I can remember off the top of my head!
I'm going to look on Amazon
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
God, I hated Life with George, the woman was so dumb at times that I wanted to chuck the book across the room!!!! Similarly with Marley and Me, half
ha, that made me laugh
Yep, not so daft they made a fortune
But as for with their dog, yep maybe a bit
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
God, I hated Life with George, the woman was so dumb at times that I wanted to chuck the book across the room!!!! Similarly with Marley and Me, half of that's dogs problems were caused by the owners

I have Endal but I haven't read it yet but I've heard it's good. If you want a non fiction book and haven't read it yet The Culture Clash is an interesting read.

I also want Brain Games...let me know of it's any good!
well was thinking about Oh Behave! (Jean Donaldson) but the first pages on Amazon seem to be about why the owners pick a certain breed...so not sure, what do you think?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2011, 08:24 PM
I haven't read Oh Behave (but think I should, I tell Cain that all the time )....go off to look that up now!

I have read The Culture Clash and also Fight! And I found her books very readable and enjoyable, but that's just me personally. Can't you return them to Amazon if you find you really hate it?
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Rescue me .... Melissa Wareham
The dog who loved me...... John Katz
The puppy that came for xmas ..... Megan Rix
Endal ...... Allen and Sandra Parton
Finding Harmony .... Sally Hyder

And the best book I have ever read, you will need lots of tissues

One dog at a time ....... Pen Farthing.

Forgot