Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 05:08 PM

Teaching sit/down/back to sit.

Brandie knows sit, but has only used it as going from a standing position into a sit. If I want her to sit coming from a down position do I still use the command "sit", or do I need to teach her this with a new word?

I hope that makes sense

Thanks
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 05:31 PM
I still use the word sit, as it is still a sit!
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 06:14 PM
I use sit but i also raise my hand up. i only do this from a down. from a stand i lower my hand. Emergency down i raise my right leg a little & put it down. I like to use body language with my dogs & not just my voice.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 06:57 PM
I still use sit but a different hand signal, once the dog knows what sit means they will sit from any position and you are only going to have a problem if your dog thinks sit means something other than put bum on floor.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Whether you want your dog to sit down from a stand, or to sit up from a drop, the command and the signal should be exactly the same
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 08:12 PM
I use a different signal because otherwise I find they are apt to come to me and then sit, guess mine are not well trained.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-11-2005, 08:30 PM
I would bet that your dogs are extremely well trained Jackie and I can see your reason for using different signals. Just that a novice dog could get confused by two signals meaning the same thing.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2005, 08:50 PM
We use sit from all angles, usually with a treat from sit to down and down to sit though
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Thanks everyone I will get practicing with her and hopefully she'll understand me.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2005, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
I would bet that your dogs are extremely well trained Jackie and I can see your reason for using different signals. Just that a novice dog could get confused by two signals meaning the same thing.
LOL, they are not, but they are trained to the standard I require but I would think others would think they were not trained at all Main thing is they rarely leave the home so are not used to road walking nor road walking manners, they do go to shows but any training they have goes to pot as they get too excited to listen and Elks are very good at not listening.

Think most of my training was done with the GSD's and I am far to tolerant of the Elkhounds preferring to watch them do what comes naturally most of the time and only using their early training when they are about to get themselves or me into trouble.