Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 12:04 AM

Freezing storage mites?

Could someone confirm if I'm imagining it or did I read somewhere on this website that you can kill storage mites in dried kibble by freezing it?
One of my dogs has an incredibly sensitive stomach and unfortunately he is the one that eats all the 'muck and bullets' when outside. Probably a total coincidence but since I opened a new bag of kibble his faeces have been slightly loose. I just want to rule out storage mites!! He's 12 months old and is fed on Burns Fish and Rice, but I am thinking of changing him to Orijen.
Thanks, Jenny
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 01:51 AM
Yes that is correct, the only way to kill storage mites is to freeze the kibble overnight. Usually an allergic reaction causes skin problems

What happens is that when the dog puts his/her head into the bowl, the mites latch onto the dogs mouth/facial area and bite hence the irritation. When the dog licks any other part of the body, the mites transfer to that area and bite

Freezing is the only way to kill them, make sure the food is defrosted before feeding
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Well, you certainly do learn something new every day on here dontcha! What great advice - thanks VB, I will be freezing mine now, coz this could be the reason for Georgie's eruptions around his lower face but I didn't know about these mites in the food.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks very much for confirming that. My dog is obviously not suffering with storage mites as he doesn't have skin problems. I did however, freeze one 'meals-worth' of food overnight and gave it to him this morning ......... oops though, because I didn't leave it to thaw. Having said that it was mixed with some nature diet (which I know he is fine on) and the Burns kibble has the constituency of Maltesers. I'll have to wait-and-see as to how he is.
Thanks again