Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Need Advice re "out of control dog"

Hi would love to hear your thoughts and advice please...

Took all 3 woofs out this am...I keep Thor my boxer on lead as he can be funny with some dogs and due to his neurological probs and lung and larynx probs its best he stays on the lead in my view.

Well, today he sees another woof very close to us and pulled on his lead. His collar snapped off (have checked it since and all seems fine but am buying a new one)...he ran over to other woof (who was on lead) and was o.t.t jumping all over it...no barking/growling/snapping just being a naughty crazy boxer...so I get over to them (not 30 secs brisk pace away) and try to get Thor off other woof.

Other woofs owner was Very aggressive to me saying I should have him "under control"...I said yes he normally is but his collar has just snapped right off...he said "yes, but you should still keep him under control"...meanwhile other owner is trying to kick my dog but kept missing and kicking his own...I got hold of Thor and pulled him away when the other owner tripped over his own dogs lead and fell over...he got up had yet another go at me and stormed off. I looked down to see his watch had come off (where he had the dogs lead wrapped around his wrist)...did I shout out to him to say? Heck did I!!!

I am the first to say all dogs should be under control and I dont think its my fault the collar snapped and Thor ran over to other dog. Yes, I should be able to recall him back but this has gone out the window since his neuro probs. I apologised re collar snapping.

Not sure How I couldve controlled him?? He wont wear a harness and freaks out since neuro prob (he always wore one before with no probs)...I dont want to put his dogmatic back on as this seems to restrict his breathing since this larynx problem.

Im not sure "what" else I can do to make him more secure or "under control"...I am worried that I am now a bad owner...

Has anyone any thoughts or advice please xx

I was bitten 3 times on my hand and am assuming it was the other dog but as I didnt see it could have been mine. I have been to a@e and have it dressed, antibiotics and tetanus jab...

Spoilt what was a lovely walk....
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by boxergoggins View Post
Hi would love to hear your thoughts and advice please...

Took all 3 woofs out this am...I keep Thor my boxer on lead as he can be funny with some dogs and due to his neurological probs and lung and larynx probs its best he stays on the lead in my view.

Well, today he sees another woof very close to us and pulled on his lead. His collar snapped off (have checked it since and all seems fine but am buying a new one)...he ran over to other woof (who was on lead) and was o.t.t jumping all over it...no barking/growling/snapping just being a naughty crazy boxer...so I get over to them (not 30 secs brisk pace away) and try to get Thor off other woof.

Other woofs owner was Very aggressive to me saying I should have him "under control"...I said yes he normally is but his collar has just snapped right off...he said "yes, but you should still keep him under control"...meanwhile other owner is trying to kick my dog but kept missing and kicking his own...I got hold of Thor and pulled him away when the other owner tripped over his own dogs lead and fell over...he got up had yet another go at me and stormed off. I looked down to see his watch had come off (where he had the dogs lead wrapped around his wrist)...did I shout out to him to say? Heck did I!!!

I am the first to say all dogs should be under control and I dont think its my fault the collar snapped and Thor ran over to other dog. Yes, I should be able to recall him back but this has gone out the window since his neuro probs. I apologised re collar snapping.

Not sure How I couldve controlled him?? He wont wear a harness and freaks out since neuro prob (he always wore one before with no probs)...I dont want to put his dogmatic back on as this seems to restrict his breathing since this larynx problem.

Im not sure "what" else I can do to make him more secure or "under control"...I am worried that I am now a bad owner...

Has anyone any thoughts or advice please xx

I was bitten 3 times on my hand and am assuming it was the other dog but as I didnt see it could have been mine. I have been to a@e and have it dressed, antibiotics and tetanus jab...

Spoilt what was a lovely walk....

I find it sad that you felt this episode warranted you not informing the other person they had dropped their watch, it could have been valuable either in monetary or sentimental terms and he may not have the funds with which to replace it.

I wonder why you felt compelled to do this?

Do you think your behaviour might have been motivated by fear or anger

Do you think perhaps that the behaviour of the other owner may have been motivated by the same feelings?

Whether or not it was your FAULT that the collar broke is not the issue; the IMPACT on the other dog/owner is the same and I wonder if you would have not felt the same if the positions had been reversed?

Would you have felt the need to protect your dog with all his health problems from the unwelcome attentions of another?

I would have thought that a dog with larnx problems would be more comfortable with a harness or head halter but in any case a new collar is probably the wisest approach unless you just failed to snap/buckle the collar properly.

I am sure nobody thinks you are a “bad owner” but bearing in mind your dog’s health problems, your bitten hand and the effect this incident had on the other dog, it at least proves that you are correct in keeping your dog on the lead.

Accidents happen, however I would not feel proud of myself for not trying to reunite an individual with their personal belongings especially as I know how I would feel if the boot was on the other foot.

Hope your hand is ok.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 03:46 PM
You are not a 'bad' dog owner.

Accidents happen. Collars snap. Leads come unclipped. These things happen and unfortunately today, it happened to you.

That being said, I'm sure the other dog owner got a real fright when a large, strong dog suddenly came racing over and then leaping around!

I'm sure you can appreciate, totally, that his anger was really largely because he got a shock and he was, at least initially, scared...?

It's great that you apologised. But I do agree with SB totally that you MUST try to reunite this man with his watch - that is the morally right thing to do.

If you do not at least try, then while you may not be a bad dog owner, you would be a tad unethical as a person, in my humble opinion.

RE HEAD COLLAR

Are you sure that a Dogmatic or some other head collar would be a bad idea? I would urge you to contact Dogmatic and tell them about your dog's problems and ask if a headcollar would be suitable - the whole point OF these headcollars is that they do not place pressure on the throat area!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Sorry you had a rubbish walk

all I can see is really what SB is saying too, the other owner was just reacting to the situation
Its how some people act in a stressfull situation, they must have had a huge fright and were possibly a bit hurt as well

I had a similar thing when a person and 2 dogs suddenly appeared out of the bushes and Mia got a fright and started barking - then the woman started kicking out at Mia, which then wound her up so she was racing around barking too fast for me to get a hold of

The woman and her husband were trying to kick Mia, screaming at me my dog should be put to sleep - then my mum started yelling back
I hushed my mum, asked the lady to drop her dogs lead (her hands flapping all over the place had her dog bucking and thrashing around) Mia and the dog had a calm sniff then both came over to me - I handed the other dog back to the owner, appologised and walked away

it is horrible and stressfull - but it is way worse being on the other side so sometimes you just have to take it on the chin

I understand you will be concerened it will happen again, hopefully not - can you get him used to a different harness or something? or even an extra backup slip collar or something just for your own confidence
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2011, 03:51 PM
I agree with everything SB has said to be honest. Calling out to the other owner about his watch may have actually diffused the situation a bit too.
If he really wont wear a harness then I'd use two collars with a coupler and that way both would need to break for you to lose control.
Sorry I can't be much more help.
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2011, 03:54 PM
I take on your points SB...I just wanted to know what If anything else I could do to prevent the same thing occurring which I believe to be responsible ownership!!

I have had many many dogs come over to Thor and have a go, some have snapped and snarled and bitten his jowels causing bleeding. Never have I kicked out...I always ask or shout if other owners are miles away to call their dog back please. Providing they attempt to do so I have no problem with their dog harassing mine as I know sometimes dogs will be dogs. When other owners fail to do anything then I have a problem that their dog is causing a problem with mine!!

Not only did I apologise and immediately remove my dog I also asked if his dog was ok? at which point he fell over and stormed off. Not much else I couldve said/done-or was there as I have never had this happen before!!

Accidents do happen and this was one of them. I have said Why I keep Thor on a lead and why he does not wear harness so will not repeat those points

Yes, I sort of feel bad re his watch but he was so verbally aggressive to me I just wanted out of the situation as quick as as did he probably...I choose to not wear or have Any valuables on when walking my dogs so it didnt even occur to me to run after him and possibly get hit or beaten up...not where I live anyway

I hope I do not sound cross with my reply but just trying to see how else I can have him "under control"..thanks
Abbey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Accidents do happen, they are just dogs and we are just human, but i agree with what everyone else has said. I had a similiar situation last year when two rather large and friendly but VERY ott Labradoodles snapped the single flext lead they were on and propelled into my dogs - chaos - all the woman said repeatedly was 'ohh, no, look at my lead...' - i was angry with her at that moment and whilst i understood it was an accident - it did my fearful dog no good whatsoever.

JMO.

Hope your hand is ok and that you are too xxx
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 09:07 PM
sorry this has happened to you, its happened to me and its horrible. I do feel i would of felt the same as the man but im sure most of it was out of temper.

I have phoebe on 2 collers(well a halti and a chain) with seperate leads that are joined at the handles as if one fails i have my back up and she aint going nowhere. If you dont like the idea of a headcoller of harness maybe go for the 2 collar option so atleast you feel comfatable that you are doing everything to can
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2011, 03:27 PM
I can see both sides but...
I have had many many dogs come over to Thor and have a go, some have snapped and snarled and bitten his jowels causing bleeding. Never have I kicked out...I always ask or shout if other owners are miles away to call their dog back please.
a dog whos owners are miles away approaches and draws blood and you stand there politely calling to the (miles away) owner?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2011, 03:54 PM
I can see both sides here. The other owner may have been slightly apprehensive at the fact he had a big loopy boxer jumping all over his dog. But having said that, it doesn't take a genius to spot non-aggressive communication between dogs and I don't think that trying to kick Thor was necessary.

I also think that he most likely attacked you verbally partly because he fell over his own dog's lead and most likely felt a right muppet. I'm glad this particular scenario hasn't happened to me because I would've fallen about laughing once that happened.

If this man's watch has been broken or fallen off during such an incident I can't honestly see how you are morally obliged to try to return it to him. If you have it in your possession then of course you need to try to find out where he is but if you left it well alone, don't worry about it. The chances are, imo, the watch came off because of his actions/wrist actions during the time he was trying to kick your dog.

At least you apologised. There was no harm to either dog and accidents do happen. It's not as though you knowingly allowed Thor off lead given his problems. if anything, the other owner owes you an apology for trying to kick your dog. Your dog wasn't attacking his dog; he was doing what dogs do - and you still apologised. YOu're in no way a bad owner. Stop worrying. Buy a new collar, lead, harness, etc or whatever it is you need for Thor and continue as you have been (but ignore and avoid the fool who kicks dogs).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >