Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Thanks for that BD. I saw that this was talking about 'canine athletes' and that the title is:

The studies he's citing don't seem to cover all breeds/crossbreeds. The orthopeadic one was carried out on Golden Retrievers only.

That article wouldn't stop me speying/neutering my pets. I wouldn't do it at an extremely early age, but as I said, the health risks (to me) aren't that great.

I do like his suggestions of vasectomy/tubal ligature though. That would be less invasive and would be something I would consider as an alternative to neutering
It covers all dogs really if you read it and the 18 references are hardly like listening to a dogs trust home checker! Vet nurses have the neuter thing imprinted on them too. (I know you didnt say it )

There are loads of article and studies on behaviour and pyhsical changes after neutering, that was the first one. Given that the OP wants to neuter a PUPPY then I feel its very appropriate, especially in a working breed.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 04:49 PM
Just mooching about online, the recommended age for a dog seems to be 9 months?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Just mooching about online, the recommended age for a dog seems to be 9 months?
Well 9mths is better than 12wks which is what Ive read in some places!!

I think to spay a Dane at 9mths would be wrong, but a JRT that mature physically very quickly, its not so bad, providing the dog has had a season first.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Yeah I think at 'weeks' old is too young.

BTW, the lady who said the thing about the growth plates isn't a 'home checker' - she runs the Freedom Project (with two other people) and is an experienced vet nurse and canine hydrotherapist (not sure why I feel I have to defend her but I do ).

I guess, if the OP trusts her vet then she should take his advice.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Yeah I think at 'weeks' old is too young.

BTW, the lady who said the thing about the growth plates isn't a 'home checker' - she runs the Freedom Project (with two other people) and is an experienced vet nurse and canine hydrotherapist (not sure why I feel I have to defend her but I do ).

I guess, if the OP trusts her vet then she should take his advice.
If she is your friend I fully understand you defending her.
Page 17 of 17 « First < 7 14 15 16 17