Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dee2uk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-12-2007, 09:22 PM

Garlic pills and Fleas

Hello all.
Just a question Id like to put to the more knowledgeable doggie peeps here Whilst at the vets yesterday and chatting as you do while waiting,a lady told me that to give your dog a garlic tab 3 times a week will keep your cat/dog free of fleas .Now whilst I dont wish to ignore her advise Id like to ask if anyone here knows of this and can verify this interesting fact,thanks very much.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Yup, It wont get rid of any that your dog already has, but it does deter them, because Garlic travels through the blood and the fleas dont like it, when they suck the dogs blood.

I give mine a tab 4 times a week for fleas, but it's also great to get the blood flowing, great for general health and aids in minor coughs etc.
perrodeagua
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Use it on mine and since doing so never had fleas!
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2007, 10:01 PM
We give ours Garlic and Fenugreek tablets from Dorwest as a regular supplement
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2007, 03:07 AM
When I owned Mals I always gave them garlic and when ever they went into boarding kennels in Nowra the owners were amazed that I never used anything other then garlic for fleas as they always washed all dogs coming in mine never had one flea/ dropping ever come out, Nowra being sandy coastal town people always had flea problems, in the end they started their own dogs on garlic
I even now my bullies get garlic they they have never had one flea on them and again I don't use any other flea treatment on them.
So if you do have fleas use a treatment to get rid of them and give your guys garlic
I use fresh garlic or crushed in a bottle
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-12-2007, 08:08 AM
I give Ollie a fresh clove of garlic crushed every night in his food and he has not had to have any flea treatment.
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2007, 08:35 AM
That is interesting. I always tought that garlic was a big no for dogs (like onion)...

Your dogs didn't have any problems with it?

I would like to try it too...how much should I give my dog (50 kg / 110 pounds) ? We don't have garlic pils here so I would have to give him fresh or dried garlic.

Only one more question Doesn't garlic cause the "smelly breath" (sorry, don't know how you say it)

THX
fimberly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Riley gets sauted carrots with garlic a couple of times a week which i put in his dog food. He loves it.

I have never noticed a smell on him. I think its like with people, if you have it fequently- there is no smell.

Or you can get garlic and cod liver oil capsules that Riley loves more than liver treats. lol. Everyone laughs at him when he gets so excited about his medicine.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Garlic in large doses can be dangerous for dogs; but in small doses like this it's fine, even of benefit, for the dog.

I've heard of many people using it to repel fleas with good results.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by paw-paw View Post
That is interesting. I always tought that garlic was a big no for dogs (like onion)...

Your dogs didn't have any problems with it?

I would like to try it too...how much should I give my dog (50 kg / 110 pounds) ? We don't have garlic pils here so I would have to give him fresh or dried garlic.

Only one more question Doesn't garlic cause the "smelly breath" (sorry, don't know how you say it)

THX
Ollie is 60+kgs and gets one clove a day as do all the breeders dogs.So one smallish clove should be fine for your dog. I give fresh minced through a garlic press.
He doesn't suffer with smelly breath.
He knows when his tea is being done and comes and waits for it to go down when he smells the garlic.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >