Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jules5
New Member!
Female 

24-07-2014, 10:26 AM

Malting!!!!

hey guys, need some help. i have a 2 year old border collie (tyson). had him for 6 months. he's the most loving , soft, loyal pet u could wish for but just lately his malting is driving me insane!! doesn't seem to matter how much i groom him he still loses enough a week to make a rug lol. any tips on prevention or how to deal with hair loss...tia. xxx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Malting ? Do you mean moulting ?

Dogs shed their undercoat this time of year naturally, a full bath using a dog shampoo, will help to loosen the dead undercoat a bit quicker, but it's a fact of life owning a double coated breed that they shed their coats. You can get "rakes" for double coated breeds that take out the coat
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Molting, not malting. A FURminator hairbrush (can be found on Amazon and in pet stores) will help with excessive shedding, as will taking a close look at the diet and eliminating common allergens such as wheat, corn, soy, and grains.

My guy is a double coated breed, but he does not shed much and his coat is always in excellent condition. Then again, he is a Labramutt and not a BC. Much shorter hair.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-07-2014, 12:56 PM
Guys!! Go easy, first post for the OP!!

Help is welcome and what she was looking for, but you know fine what she meant, no need to criticise a misspelling.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2014, 04:16 PM
You're right Annie, of course. I think that correcting spelling can come off rude, but if I spell something wrong and don't realize it, I'm happy if someone corrects it for me.

I also sometimes forget that this is a UK website, so my spelling corrections are wrong anyway! I apologize for the spelling correction.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2014, 04:28 PM
I have a double coated breed (gsd) and I've never, ever seen her moult so much either, I'm getting mountains of fur out of her. I use a good rake and it does the job perfectly, it gets straight down to that undercoat which is what you need to remove and then you're going to have one very happy, very glossy, shiny dog!
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
You're right Annie, of course. I think that correcting spelling can come off rude, but if I spell something wrong and don't realize it, I'm happy if someone corrects it for me.

I also sometimes forget that this is a UK website, so my spelling corrections are wrong anyway! I apologize for the spelling correction.
It's fine, don't sweat it.

I just think that sometimes on this forum we can forget to be more kind that we can be and if that'd been my first post I'd have been too peed off to come back.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2014, 04:56 PM
Well the Op was only on the forum long enough to post so they can't have been that interested in the replies & my reply wasn't rude just clarifying what they were writing about
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Sam was a shedder

You never have a home free, or even relatively free, of dog hair if you have a Border Collie
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2014, 08:56 AM
So if she wants an answer to a specific question, she's expected to stay here forever and wait for it? She might have been in a hurry or something. I think it's OKAY to post your question and go about your business until later, when you might have some answers; but that is just me.