View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-07-2014, 03:24 PM
It looks bizarre and it's very unhealthy as it can damage a dog's neck.
You can't see the 'proper' build of a dog when it's stretched like that and almost hung from the collar. You can only see the proper build of a dog when it's standing straight and normal. Otherwise you can't see proper joint angles etc.
As for 'gameness', this should not be bred for anymore as it was the key trait of the breed when they were used in dog fights. Nowadays, 'drive' and 'game' should no longer be wanted as it causes a lot of trouble with the breed. A dog with lots of 'game' simply means it's a dog that is extremely sensitive to elevated adrenaline levels and is easily over-aroused.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Like I said, that is why it's done. When the dogs stretch like that, their definition "pops" and that is what the photographers are looking for. Lat muscles, leg muscles, and general overall muscle "flexing" kind of like bodybuilders.

These dogs cannot be harmed by slightly pulling on a soft collar (some dogs snatch and hack on walks the entire time and most APBT are kept outdoors on chains)... they were bred for fighting and you'll have to do a ton more damage to inflict even a moderate amount of injury. This sounds bad, but oftentimes... these animals can hardly be called domestic dogs.

As for the drive and gameness... the pit bull terrier was bred for that purpose, and it can never be taken out of their blood... and though fighting is illegal, weight pulling competitions, pit bull jumping competitions, and spring pole and fly chasing are part of ownership oftentimes.

A pit bull terrier that does not have any game and drive is not a pit bull terrier. It's one of those other "pit bull" dogs you see listed up there. The true american pit bull terrier is extremely rare now.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-07-2014, 08:05 PM
I disagree with your opinion and stand by what I said. But this is not the right thread to discuss it, as this thread is not about pit bulls, but about what breed the OPs dog is.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2014, 08:21 PM
That is fair enough. And you're correct. I will drop the subject entirely.
jitp20
New Member!
Male 

31-07-2014, 12:50 AM
Thats pretty interesting.

Thanks Kit kat for the pictures. It showes the different breeds and what is a pit bull and what not.
I guess the most people would call any of these breeds "pit bull" as they see a fighting dog, and a "fighting dog" is automatically called a "pit bull". (my experience)
And i think...
A dog will act how you want him to. You want him aggressive and uncontrolled, pulling the lead... he will do that. Doesnt matter what breed!

But anyway...

I am thankful for all the guesses, what mix my dog could be...
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4