View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Koda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2008, 12:18 PM

Dianette contraceptive pill..help please?

i went to my docs about my mild acne and he prescribed dianette - im already using an implant which they know about and said it doesnt affect....anyone used this and does it actually help acne??

xx
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Hi - I was prescribed this for my acne a couple pf years ago....I hope this doesnt put you off but it does have some bad side affects...I got really bad cramps in my legs and got scared of a blood clot (drama queen )...but i also got really bad headaches.

I researched it quite a lot and it either Really works for you...or not at all!
Google it and you will find out a lot!

The best thing i ever did for my skin was give up caffeine!! I still have chocolate sometimes but i gave up all the tea and coffee and i would say my skin is 10 times clearer!

Good luck tho it may work for you
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 12:45 PM
I know somebody that used it with very good results for her acne.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Dianette does work. It is often prescribed for hormonal imbalance problems, such as polycystic ovary syndrome. If you are not happy then I would go back and discuss it with your doctor as I know there are also other options.I was on Dianette for several years before being swopped to Yasmin.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2008, 01:52 PM
worked for me for a while

then i got ill lol
and had to come off it

there another one a blue pill that was slightly better.... cnat remmeber the name though!
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Hi there.

I suffered with adult acne in my mid-late 20's (I'm 41 now) and I tried various things Oxtetracycline, Dalacin T, etc. The final product that I used was Roaccutane - this was a last resort as I was getting married and wanted my skin to be clear. I had to sign a declaration to say that I wouldn't get pregnant six months either side of taking the course of treatment. I took the course of treatment and my skin cleared up (horrible list of side effects but don't remember suffering anything too badly!). Once I finished the course of treatment I was give Dianette as it was recommended for skin problems. Never had any problems on Dianette. My doctor at some stage later advised me to come off Dianette as there had been some issues with it and put me on Ovranette instead, which again I had no major problems with.

Hope this helps - my acne was more like boil type spots as opposed to spots and only on my face - on my cheek areas and chin - nowhere else!!
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2008, 06:05 PM
I was on this and didn't get any side affects, just didn't really do much :P

I was prescribed Dalacin T, which is like a roll on lotion and it worked AMAZINGLY. None of the other lotions have ever done a bit of good and have been more trouble than they were worth but this stuff has worked so well.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Love it! Was on it for years before being advised it may be contributing to my migraines (nothing to do with Dianette itself) and being put on a Pop pill, Cerazette (also brilliant).

Best my skin has ever been.

I think with everything like this, we're all different, so try it and if it doesn't work, try something else. there are plenty of options out there.
Chris_Collins
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Dianette is an effective treatment for acne. However, be careful if you're taking this pill in conjunction with antibiotics (tetracyclines group) as it is known to become in-effective.

In addition, DO NOT take dianette if you suspect or are pregnant as it known to harm baby in a similar fashion to thalidamide.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2008, 10:05 PM
I have used Dianette for many years, without any problems and my skin was fantastic on it. Cleared up the acne really well, couldn't have asked for better. It also wasn't oily on Dianette. If I could have stayed on it for longer I would have.

As I had been it for a long time (over 5 years) I was advised by the doctor to stop it now and try something else.

I've tried loads of stuff for my acne and the only thing that clears it well is Dianette and antibiotics.

I have not long finished a 4 week course of antibiotics - Tetracycline, which also helped massively.

I was at the dermatologist at the hospital today and I have now been prescribed a long term low dose course of antibiotics - Tetralysal (300). One a day for three months, then I've to go back to see her in February. I really think they'll work for me as it's one of only two things that have helped, so I'm really hopeful.

She said that all antibiotics apart from one kind (don't know which kind) can harm an unborn baby, so be aware of that. That's what she told me today.

You'll find some tips and advice here:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=96368

When I mentioned to the doctor that I had tried diet changes etc she said that doesn't make a difference as it's hormone related. In my case anyway. She said one cup of tea a day also wouldn't affect me. Which it hasn't as when I didn't drink tea my skin was at it's worst! I drink tea every day now almost, and it hasn't made any difference to my skin.

Hope this is of some help and you manage to keep your acne under control if not cleared completely.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >