Male 

14-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Hi, Yeah you can hope this helps you!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Zetacharlie View Post
Piriton is a brand name and not a generic one- not sure whether it is Loratadine or Cetirizine or another type ?Yeah you are right about the one a day ones-they are different from the regular ones Can u do me a favour and look on the pkg of Piriton to see what the active ingredient is ?
Piriton is chlorphenamine maleate 4 mg, thats the one my vets use. I didn't know there were anti-histamines that were harmful to dogs? Anyone know if there is one to avoid?

Just realised the age of this thread!! Look for the name of the drug rather than the brand name to get it in Australia (Piriton is the brand name)
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 07:32 PM
I used piriton last week on Honey, after her face swelled up after a bite, the vet said it was absolutely fine, she had one tablet twice a day.
davejtuk
New Member!
Male 

04-09-2011, 10:17 AM
I hope someone can help me. I have a Shih Tsu dog who weighs eight kilos. Is it safe to give him a whole Piriton or do I need to adjust the dosage prorata to his weight?
Any advice on this would be warmly received.
LuluandElvis
New Member!
Female 

21-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Hi.

I have a 5 year old Lab - allergic to everything. Been
through tests and tests and now know its not food related.
Anyway she is now on piriton - vet said up to 6 a day. She
is on 6 a day and it has taken the edge off it. She still scratches but have a special wash to wash her in but not yet done that. So glad didnt say today at boots that they were for my dog after reading this very old threat. Was
about to as they would not sell me 2 packets.
sheilafauch
New Member!
Female 

03-09-2013, 07:21 AM
good morning everyone ,my dog millie has had itchy skin for a while now but after reading the different posts am going to get some piriton today ,hope it works cos vet just gave her steroid and it did'nt do a thing ,will let you know how she gets on thanks for the advice .
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2013, 01:26 PM
I use antihistamines containing cetirizine hydrochloride and according to the various articles on the internet, this particular chemical is fine as well.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-09-2013, 01:38 PM
If Boots won't sell you 2 packets just go somewhere else and buy the next one, and so on and so forth.
Ridiculous that I cannot buy pain killers in any sort of quantity, my doctor prescribes me a months worth of co-codemol without any quibble, but perish the thought I should want to buy any over the counter meds.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2013, 03:37 PM
Just ask the Pharmatist for Chlorphenamine, much cheaper & that is exactly what Pirition is
Ginge2602
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2013, 09:43 PM
My vet has told me to buy piriton for doggie emergency kit. Also kaolin mixture or milk of magnesia for stomachs.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4