View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sbrininger
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2011, 02:28 AM

My dog is shedding terribly - should we go to the vet?

Hello!

Our dog Scout is a British lab and is shedding terribly. We just moved to a new house so I don't know if it is a lot more than usual (stress from the change to a new home?) or if we just didn't notice it as much at the old house with different floors. I am not sure if I should take her to the vet? Or are there things we should try at home to see if they help before taking her? We have to do something - it is really bad and we have two small children who have dog hair all over them, their beds, their toys, etc, no matter how often I vacuum.

Thanks so much!
Shannon
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Suspect it's normal!!!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 08:11 AM
Provided it is nothing medical, dogs do shed a lot anyway..

Have you tried using a furminator or another shedding brush?
I have a small dog (double coated) and she sheds so much you would think she is bald.. I Hoover at least once a day and the floor is still hairy!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 08:42 AM
Does the new house have a different kind of heating to the old one? This can often be a culprit. I know with central heating, putting a bowl of water by the radiators to restore moisture to the air can help.
Adding oil to a dog's diet can help with moulting. I used to use a specific "moult oil" with a previous GSD who shed a lot and it helped. My two just get salmon oil nowadays and I believe this helps a bit with the shedding - but they are breeds prone to shedding so it'll never be gone entirely.
How often do you brush him? Daily brushing with a rubber brush (e.g. ZoomGroom) or pin brush (as opposed to a moulting rake/Furminator/etc) can help stimulate the skin and promote a healthy skin and coat, and catch the moulting hair before it flies all around the house