Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
poppysunny
New Member!
Female 

29-07-2010, 08:54 AM

Can I give my dog human painkillers?

CAn I give my dog human painkillers? The vet is very expensive and this is a stray dog so want to keep things as cheap as poss.Thanks
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2010, 09:33 AM
very dangerous to self medicate... why does the dog need painkillers?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-07-2010, 09:36 AM
No. Not unless a vet has told you it`s OK. Why not just phone the vet and ask?
eta - is there a local animal rescue you can talk to - they usually know the cheapest vets.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by poppysunny View Post
CAn I give my dog human painkillers? The vet is very expensive and this is a stray dog so want to keep things as cheap as poss.Thanks
It is not wise to give dogs human painkillers.

No offence intended, but could I ask why your stray dog, who I assume you have taken to be your own (you say you own a street dog) is any different to any other dog. You say you want to keep things "as cheap as possible". Would you feel differently with a more "valuable" dog? - Surely they should all be worthy of the same treatment.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2010, 03:18 AM
No. Many human pain meds can kill your dog. If your dog is in pain, she needs to see a vet. It doesn't matter where she came from, she's a living creature and if you've taken her in, you need to take care of her. If you can't, then turn her over to a rescue group that can.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by poppysunny View Post
Yes you can give dogs some human meds...although most are not recommended. What is wrong with the dog ? If you would like to be spared the judgement, it would probably be better to use the private message system.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Yes you can give dogs some human meds...although most are not recommended. What is wrong with the dog ? If you would like to be spared the judgement, it would probably be better to use the private message system.
what judgement??
it is very dangerous to self medicate..and u are not a qualified vet......if the dog had been to the vet the op would of been told what she can and cant use......self diagnosis is also very dangerous .....