Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vegasjewel64
New Member!
Female 

02-03-2010, 12:44 AM

Hi...I want to be a groomer, but my hubby is a glass is half full guy

http://www.dogsey.com/images/smilies/icon_redface.gif
and he keeps saying what about being bitten, what about crazy people getting mad at you what about this and that, all negative. I was a beautician for years, I know people. Am I crazy to think about becoming a groomer? Its something I really want to do. What are your stories/ideas? thanks for your time in advance........Juls
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2010, 01:11 AM
I wish you luck if you decide to follow "your" dreams in becoming a dog groomer

I would do some homework, and some costings, as I can imagine the "tools of the trade" to be fairly expensive.

I used to use a mobile groomer, but that became too expensive once i had "two" dogs, so I tend to groom them myself now!

Good Luck
vegasjewel64
New Member!
Female 

02-03-2010, 01:39 AM

thanks...your right, its my dream. I am studying as much as I can...............thank you
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2010, 10:28 AM
I think I`d be questioning why my OH didn`t want me to pursue my dream TBH. Not questioning my goals.
good luck.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2010, 10:33 AM
I would wish you all the luck and say go for it....

BUT - it is nothing like working with people! We used to get a lot of people in for WE who seemed to think it was hair dressing for dogs.....really not the case!
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Hi i was a beauty therapist and nail tech and decided for a change in career. I took a course which finished last june and then started my own dog grooming business.

I advertised in yellow pages and a big grooming shop near me closed down unexpectedly. The first month or two i had dogs booked in every day and it was a bit overwhelming.

I don't regret it and business is going well, although i still feel like i have masses to learn.

I love dogs and can honestly say before grooming - dogs are my life. But it is not all about meeting friendly lovely dogs everyday.

Every dog is different, some will bite my hand in a second given half the chance. Some just never even get brushed at home so when they come to me not only are the full of knots they can also be very aggressive as they are just not used to the grooming.

I had a new young westie in the other day and he bounced up and down for 2 hours. It made the grooming exhausting.

I have had many dogs bought in that are neglect cases for one reason or another and they have been one solid matt from head to toe....it really can be quite upsetting.

In saying all this..................... i love it I have doggy kisses all the time, i love working with all different breeds of dogs. And its very rewarding to see the difference you can make. Its like anything there is good and bad....but if your really sure you want to do it, then go for it.
Windhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-03-2010, 12:21 AM
If this is what you want to do,do not let your other half discourage you. I have been a groomer for over 25years and have never regretted making the decision to take this road. Over the years I have made a lot of good friends out of my clients,canine and human,in fact one client(human) reminded me last week that I had been grooming her dogs for 17 years.You do get a great deal of job satisfaction when you see the end product,that sounds clinical I know,but how else does one describe the "before & after" other than by taking a photograph. If you love dogs and cats then you will find that the work place will be a happy one,when you can do so much to make them feel good. Lots of luck with achieving your ambition.