Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annie08
New Member!
Female 

29-12-2011, 01:07 PM

Alaskan Malamute owner

Hi
I'm new on here Just having a look around. Emigrating with husbands work commitments and can't afford the £5,000 to take our 1 year old Mally. Anyone have any idea's, he would be a great stud dog. Would only re-house to right family. Dog has fab temperament good with kids very loyal and obedient for a Mally. Is used to one good walk a day! Hard decision for us. Not one taken lightly either. Queensland would be too hot and the quarantine would be too upsetting. He loves being around his family. At least if he has a great family here in the UK we could keep in touch and maybe visit when we are back over. Off to Oz for 4 year contract. No jobs in this country so can't even get a new job
This is a very difficult decision no negative comments please - it is hard enough as it is!
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Sorry to hear you are having to rehome your Mal, ideally his breeder should be your first port of call as any decent breeder would be willing to take back a dog they have bred at any stage. Have you tried contacting your breeder? Failing this, if he is KC Registered, you could contact Malamute Rescue:

AMCUK Rescue

Originally Posted by Annie08 View Post
Anyone have any idea's, he would be a great stud dog.
I am rather concerned about this part of your post, so he is a year old, what makes him good enough to be advertised as a stud dog? What are his hip score and eye test results like (although given that he is only a year old his hip scores would have had to have come back pretty quick since they can't be done before they are 12 months). He is very young to have proven himself in the show ring and too young to have shown his working ability. There are a lot of Malamutes around being bred from with no thought to how they could improve the breed, I am sure you do not want this for your boy.

Your best bet would to have him castrated prior to rehoming to prevent him being bred form indiscriminantly.
Annie08
New Member!
Female 

29-12-2011, 02:51 PM
It was a flippant remark I agree. I have not had his hip scored etc. He had clear for DM that's all. He comes from a good line and I was assuming he will be a good stud dog as his father is!
Apologies for any misleading statement.
I am not happy about re homing him and his Breeder has moved (re located)and I have no way of now contacting her. However I will search in case she is still breeding.

I was not advertising to re home as I will not be going to Australia until Easter. I was asking for any help or suggestions. I don't want him to go to anyone that will not look after him well and would not want him to breed unless he had good scores to protect the breed.
He is a fabulous dog and we will be heart broken to let him go. I feel that it would be more cruel to ship him 24 hours over to Oz to do 30 days quarantine then to have to do 6 months in the UK when we return in 4 years time. Queensland is very hot also and he would hate it! If I'd have known that we would have to relocate 12 months after having him we would not have taken him on.
I feel awful even thinking of re homing him he is so lovely.:-
I can't bear to lose contact with him.
Sorry if this post upsets anyone.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 02:58 PM
I think you're going to struggle to find someone who would commit to a dog for 4 years and be willing to return it to you afterwards - and I also think it's a big ask to expect a new owner to allow you to visit on your return. I kept in contact with Kiki's previous owner by email for a while but it wasn't a lifetime obligation, I stopped after a while, and I don't think I'd have been happy if she'd asked to actually visit too. Unsettling for the dog and the new owner.
Annie08
New Member!
Female 

29-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Thank you for the advice. I think you are possibly right. I think I am looking at all options at the minute. I am grateful for any thoughts. Suppose it would be selfish to keep in contact. I wouldn't expect anyone to give him back after the 4 years. I'm struggling to give him up after 12 months.
Need help with the options. If I don't find a suitable solution I will take him with us I just feel it would be too much to ask from him.
I am in such a dilema.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 07:10 PM
What a difficult situation, he sounds lovely

If you decide to definitely not take him with, then as suggested one of the breed specific rescues may well be your best bet.

I would urge you not to place any ads on websites where dogs are offered to new homes for free - these ads often attract people who claim to care but whom only want to get dogs to breed from.

I would beseech you to have your boy neutered if you do rehome him.

Please let us know how you get on, all the best
Annie08
New Member!
Female 

29-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Thank you that is good advice. I didn't realise people would want him just for breeding! Naive I know of me. If we do re-home I will definitely neuter and avoid the classifieds, thanks for your knowledge.
I must research the quarantine laws again (just heard) they have changed fro Jan 2012. Australia is not EU so I'm not sure what the rules are now for bringing him back into this country. Anyone know where I can get un complicated answers from on this?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Might be worth contacting Defra to see if they can give an answer
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2011, 09:15 PM
Thank you that is good advice. I didn't realise people would want him just for breeding! Naive I know of me. If we do re-home I will definitely neuter and avoid the classifieds, thanks for your knowledge.
This is good to hear

I must research the quarantine laws again (just heard) they have changed fro Jan 2012. Australia is not EU so I'm not sure what the rules are now for bringing him back into this country. Anyone know where I can get un complicated answers from on this?
Here is the link to the Pet Travel Scheme (PETS) info on the Defra site. The new regulations are about 1/2 way down the page. HTH.

Pet Travel Scheme - DEFRA
beowulf881
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-12-2011, 09:32 PM
You don't need to put him in quarantine when u bring him back
as long as he's up to date with all his rabbies shots.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >