View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2008, 05:57 PM

What should I have in a canine first aid kit?

Todays events have led me to ask what I should have in a canine frist aid kit.

Please can you tell me what you have in yours and what each item would be used for?
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Umm, I have a selection of items that I've accumulated from work- some sterile saline, to clean/flush wounds, dressings in various sizes(melonin etc) to cover wounds, micropore tape to hold above dressings in place and bandaging materials-soffban for padding and co-flex as a cohesive layer. I also have some cotton wool and gauze swabs for wound cleaning.
As for more general items I have a digital thermometer (a lot safer and quicker than a mercury one), a cool pack for reducing inflammation or heat-stroke, a couple of pairs of latex gloves, nursing scissors and some tweezers to remove thorns etc.
I also have a small amount of chlorhexidine which is diluted to clean very dirty wounds and some surgical spirit.
Can't think of anything else off the top of my head!
Oh, and some bandage, useful for making a tape muzzle if the dog is trying to bite due to pain, fear etc is always useful.