View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2006, 07:26 AM

Scared by loud bangs, won't go for walks now ..

My staff Gypsy became scared of loud bangs a couple of years ago, prior to that nothing bothered her....Couple of days ago, we were out on our usual walk across the fields, and someone was shooting in the distance, she turned tail and ran home, (Luckily its just across fields, so she could get home without any dangers)
Since then she is refusing to come for walks, I know the answer is probably, walk her somewhere else, but there is not anywhere else locally...She will come so far, if I just keep walking and calling her, but then will turn and run home!!So the past couple of days she has not been for a walk!!
Anyone any idea's???
Mollie and Tara don't react at all...
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-01-2006, 08:05 AM
She has drawn for herself an invisible line which is her 'comfort zone'. You are obviously exercising her off-lead. What I would do is to put her on lead a good way before the 'line'. Then just stop when she starts to exhibit reluctance to go further, give her time to decide what to do, but don't let her run. Once she feel secure at the 'line' she may be tempted, after a while, to go a little bit further. If she does, then reward her with happy praise and perhaps a game with a special toy. Don't force her to walk forward on the lead and don't cajole her - let it be her decision. Every little step she makes beyond her comfort zone is excellent, confidence building progress and should be marked with something she likes (praise, toy, treat). If she goes a couple of steps then turn around and head home, don't push it. Patience is the key. Pity it is the UK winter, would be a lot more comfortable for you in summer

If she is actually reluctant to go out of the house for a walk try putting her lead on and then when you get to the gate turn the opposite way from normal. Once you have gone a few yards you can about turn and head in the usual direction.

If it is possible to drive her, or walk a circuitous route, so that she is actually in what she percieves to be no dog's land, and then walk back towards the comfort zone, this could also work.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2006, 08:06 AM
Sorry Moil, I have no experience of this, but I'm sure someone will be on soon to assist
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2006, 08:48 AM
Thanks SB, will give it a try today....Can't understand why suddenly 2 years ago she became scared of loud noises!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by Vicki
Sorry Moil, I have no experience of this, but I'm sure someone will be on soon to assist
Told you! Excellent advice SB
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Hi, it is nice if you can take your dog out for walks and to meet with other people and dogs but there is no law that says you have to. Providing you have sufficient room so she can run about and you can play with her then I would not stress about it. Take a break from trying to take her out once or twice a day as you have been and let her take a few days off, then start as you would with a puppy, just to the gate and back, few yards then back and so on, keep the fingers crossed that nothing noisy happens. Get the vet to check her ears, if fact all over just in case there is something causing this.

If you have access to a car then try taking her somewhere quiet as a treat once a week and keep her in the rest so she re-learns to enjoy her trips out again.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Hi Moli, have you thought about getting one of those CDs that desensitize them to loud noises? Apparently they work pretty well if you use them properly

Also try giving rescue remedy and maybe you can even put a bit of DAP spray or Lavender oil on a bandana and tie it round her neck?

I know Archie's problem was slightly different but he got scared of fireworks in November, really badly, and on new year's eve, we took him for his usual walk and a few fireworks went off. I think it helped a lot that Ziggy was there and didn't react at all, because Archie didn't panic... every time a firework went off we called him, gave him a biscuit, then carried on the walk as normal.

Maybe you could take one or both of the other doglets on walks with Gypsy, she might be more confident if Tara and Mollie are there to protect her

I really hope you manage to sort this out
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by tuti
Hi Moli, have you thought about getting one of those CDs that desensitize them to loud noises? Apparently they work pretty well if you use them properly

Also try giving rescue remedy and maybe you can even put a bit of DAP spray or Lavender oil on a bandana and tie it round her neck?

I know Archie's problem was slightly different but he got scared of fireworks in November, really badly, and on new year's eve, we took him for his usual walk and a few fireworks went off. I think it helped a lot that Ziggy was there and didn't react at all, because Archie didn't panic... every time a firework went off we called him, gave him a biscuit, then carried on the walk as normal.

Maybe you could take one or both of the other doglets on walks with Gypsy, she might be more confident if Tara and Mollie are there to protect her

I really hope you manage to sort this out
I walk all three together Tuti.....
I will try all the things suggested thanks guy's, I knew you would come up with answer's..
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Hiya Pat

I was also gonna suggest, you putting Gypsy on a leash.. And then follow all the great advise, you've been given..

Good luck, and I'm sure you'll work this out.

J
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2006, 12:24 AM
I can't really add to the advice because it's great Just wanted to say that I had the same problem with brandie after fireworks night and it did improve. She is now fine again Rewarding her for going forward and just stopping to think instead of going straight back home, like shadowboxer said, worked really well

Good luck, I hope things go well
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >