View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Georgieboy (Gone to the bridge post #159 page 16)

For those who have been following Georgie's sad demise I'm afraid the time is now drawing near, so near in fact, that I'm going to make an appointment for next week

It seems the lack of exercise has been detrimental for his back legs, and although I was getting him out over the week-ends when Dave was around in case he collapsed on me, I can't even do that now, his back end is not strong enough.

So much so, that even around the house now, he's gone very disorientated behind, his legs sway from side to side, and when he goes out into the garden, sometimes they just knot up, pulling him down, and I have to rush out there to help him, and once up, off he goes again, but it is breaking my heart too much now.

Funny how with all his problems, he's soldiered on, and the vet did warn me that it would be his back end that would be the finish of him, rather than his own problems. I also feel his throat is giving him problems, he stops during his dinner now, as if he's having trouble getting it all down, but he manages it all eventually.

I'm sure you will all agree, this is no way to see such an old gent deteriorating, I want him to be able to walk into that surgery, be able to get into the car too, and I feel the time is right now. I feel so desperately sorry for him when I tuck him up into his thick warm bed out in that cold bootroom for the night, and even though I purchased an oil convector heater for him, he doesn't like it, he can't wait to come in at 5 am when Dave lets them out, whereas when it's 10deg out there, he wants to stay out there.

It's no life now for him, and that is what has swayed me, and I know it is better a day too early, a week too early, than one day too late.

My friend is about this week coz it's half term, so I'll either book him in during this week, or wait until Dave is about next Saturday, I won't know until I speak to my vet tomorrow coz he said he is going to have to cancel the last 3 appointments of the day to help me with Georgie to send him on his way, peacefully and with the dignity he sooo deserves, bless his little old heart.

I so wish we could do all this here at home like we always have, but having listened to my vet, it's just not possible without a lot of aggro for them and probably not being able to stick to the arrangements made, he's such a big, heavy old lad at 55kgs, so we both feel this is the best way for him. He's always loved being at the vets, he's totally relaxed, he's spent most of his life there, so it won't be stressful for him at all, only for me

Sorry I don't have good news, we said he wouldn't make Christmas, he did, but seems like he won't be making his 14th birthday this June, he'll be joining Cassie who can't wait to meet him again I'm sure, and he's sure gonna get some stick from her after the way he's brought up this current girl of ours, but I'm sure she'll forgive him, afterall, she's the one who sent him this special girl to enjoy these last 3 years.

Please excuse me if I don't come on afterwards, but I will of course, let you know the day.xxxx
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 11:57 AM
So very sorry to hear about this. Can't think of anything to say to make you feel any better about it but am sure you are making the right decision for him.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-02-2012, 12:13 PM
My thoughts and love are with you, as always. And I will be with you, holding your hand.

xxx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm so sorry Helen, but it is the hardest thing we sometimes have to do for our furkids.

DM is a terrible condition-at least there is no pain for the dog-but there is the lost of the qualitity of their lives. Been there & got the T shirt several times with some of my GSDs.

I'll be thinking of you & Georgie-what a wonderful life he has with you & your family

Be strong & you know where I am

Mega mega cyber {{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}} to you & Georgie
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Oh H I am so sorry to be reading this. Since meeting Georgie he has remained one of my favourite dogsey dogs, so it is also a sad time for me.
You are doing whats right for him though and I just want to tell you that you are both constantly in my thoughts.
Please give him a hug and kiss from me.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm so sorry
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 12:42 PM
So sorry Xxx but you are doing the right thing for your boy, even though it's hard for you xxx big hugs. Xxx
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 12:42 PM
I've not had to go through this yet so i can't begin to imagine what your going through. You have given him an amazing life so just try to think about that. Thinking of you and sending lots of love..
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Big (((hugs))) all round.

We will all be there in spirit with you.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Such sad news Helena. If I ask myself what I would like my family to do for me in those circumstances then I would like to be given peace. Thirteen is a grand age for a shepherd and he has been so loved in his life.

Hugs
Irena
xxxxx
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »