Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by BangKaew View Post
Only because it makes so much sense to me. As you say, I am an armchair trainer, but Cesar has shown me that by the intensity of my energy and the tone of my voice I can be pack leader. Cesar showed me how I can connect with my dogs by travelling with them, me in the car. Cesar said a pack travel is very important and I have seen he is absolutely right. The elder dog is right by my window by the side of the truck. Our bond is from that, not from bribing and clicking at him. Basically my main interest is dog psychology, why a dog behaves and thinks like it does, and Cesar provides that. I have no interest in tricks. I love to watch the beach dogs interact and know pretty much what is going on. Most other dog shows are more about the trainers talking I have found.
It's good to be interested in dog psychology, so that we can understand our dogs. That's excellent

However, real dog psychology does not come from CM, honestly. He does get many things wrong, and makes things up seemingly on the spur of the moment.

There are a a bunch of us on here who have studied dog psychology to varying intensity, and although we may disagree on the minutiae, I think most of us would say to you that CM is wrong on quite a lot of things, esp. his more extreme methods and his fixed view of pack hierarchy/alpha and so on. Oh and the fact that dogs can be dominant over light

He is marvellous at people skills and this is his main attribute - although he will tell people sometimes that they are at fault, he tend to be able to get them on his side. However, just because he can do this, does not mean he is right ... he's really, really not.

If you are interested in reading the up to date information about dog psychology, and how they live with us, try reading "In Defence of Dogs" - you may enjoy it and find it interesting, at least

Wys
x
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Nervous dominant is a contradiction in terms . Even CM has to go on ethological descriptions - but he prefers to make up his own.

Wys
x
Honestly I know it sounds like a paradox and in fact it is a paradox, but he is nervous of new dogs, even puppies and yet once he meets new dogs he tries to dominate them. That is why he does not really have any friends while the young dog has dozens. I just said that shy dominant is probably a better description. Cesar says that you get the dog you need, not the one you want and he is so right. I never knew until now that I am shy dominant and that is why I have not got lots of friends. I did not realize that I am shy around new people because I do not feel confident being the pack leader there. It is a ****ty personality to have but now I know that to make new friends often I have to be willing to be in groups where I am follower not a leader. Also I realised that my nervous energy was influencing the elder dog, making him more likely to be aggressive, and that I had focus through breathing etc to be a calm influence. Obviously this is a good thing.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 09:40 AM
it is the only way I can go out with them and of course it is on dirt tracks through jungle and fruit plantations mostly. Very few cars or motorbike. Only farm dogs

Is that ok with you Smokey?
Why is it the only way u can go out with them?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Come meet my wolfdog pssst at him and jab him with ur 'cesar bite' and see what happens
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Only because it makes so much sense to me. As you say, I am an armchair trainer, but Cesar has shown me that by the intensity of my energy and the tone of my voice I can be pack leader. Cesar showed me how I can connect with my dogs by travelling with them, me in the car. Cesar said a pack travel is very important and I have seen he is absolutely right. The elder dog is right by my window by the side of the truck. Our bond is from that, not from bribing and clicking at him. Basically my main interest is dog psychology, why a dog behaves and thinks like it does, and Cesar provides that. I have no interest in tricks. I love to watch the beach dogs interact and know pretty much what is going on. Most other dog shows are more about the trainers talking I have found.
The other things that resonate with me is that Cesar is a very spiritual person. The You get the dog you need, not what you want being a good example. He is also influenced by people like Deepak Chopra and says that what you think will happen, or fearing something will happen, can make it happen. And I have seen that happen all the time. In fact quantum physics experiments have shown that WHO does the experiment and WHERE it is done influences the results!
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2011, 09:58 AM
In Defence of Dogs
I will definitely get that. My brother, who put me on to Cesar, also talks about Animals in Translation a lot ?
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
Why is it the only way u can go out with them?
I can not walk. By the way, they now, or rather I like them to, run out front so that I can see them. They completely get now that we are the pack leaders. Even if I could walk I would still do it as they love it!
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
Come meet my wolfdog pssst at him and jab him with ur 'cesar bite' and see what happens
If you had bothered to read my other posts you would have read that we have never finger jabbed our dogs, I can not, wife will not. We did establish dominance using Cesar's philosophy though. Your dog would bite someone for a pssst?

I bet it would bite you too and that the only way you can control it is with food bribery!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 10:32 AM
A truly dominant dog doesn't need to TRY to dominate other dogs, they naturally defer to it. A dog who is "trying to dominate" is generally just a dog who lacks manners in my experience.

And positive training is NOT food bribery. If it were bribery then how do you explain positively trained dogs who obey and are well behaved when there is no food around?
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
A truly dominant dog doesn't need to TRY to dominate other dogs, they naturally defer to it. A dog who is "trying to dominate" is generally just a dog who lacks manners in my experience.

And positive training is NOT food bribery. If it were bribery then how do you explain positively trained dogs who obey and are well behaved when there is no food around?
Clicker training? That is the same as food no? My dogs have never been given food for coming when called.
Page 41 of 49 « First < 31 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 > Last »