Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Thank you everyone for your messages of condolences, pms, prayers and thoughts.

We've been finding it very tough, cried non-stop for the first few days, only yesterday was a little easier. I didn't want to speak to or see anyone, but I gave in yesterday and let my sister come up as she and my parents have been texting me everyday getting more and more worried.

It's been hard getting his last day out of my head, with hindsight, if only we could have saved him from that last fit and insisted the vet come out that day, or registered with another vet who might have been able to come out without 24hrs notice.

At least he didn't suffer like my Aunt did, who passed away last week - and had been in hospital on morphine in great pain for over a month - I actually didn't even cry when she died, I was sad but didn't cry. I just thought I had become hardened to it all after losing my brother so many years ago - but when Rocky went, that notion went out the window!! It hurts real bad.

I do feel a bit better today tho so please don't worry. I can actually think of the good times now and smile. All the lovely walks we went on, all the games he played with his friends all the little things that made his tail wag. He was loved very much and I think he knew that - we weren't the perfect owners, sometimes being a bit too over-protective or worrying needlessly but I think we did so with his best interest at heart.

I'm such a silly sausage, I got the nurse to clip some of his hair and put it in a tube for me - only to discover that hair clippings are no good for cloning not that we could have afforded mind you, at $150,000! He was just such a lovely sweet loving dog I would do anything to turn time and space on its head and get him back.

In the last few months I was becoming more sure and sure that I would never get another dog - it's too much heartache, but yesterday I looked at Presa breeders websites to see if they had any pups 'just like Rocky' - not for looks, but his personality and expressions - of course there weren't any. I guess you go through this when you long to get back what you've lost.

Anyway I'm blabbing on now, but it helps talking. Thank you all for listening and for being there. (Sorry I've not got round to replying to all your PMs but they've all been read and appreciated.)

xx
Nice to see you back.

But I do not think you seriously want another Rocky, even cloned he would not be Rocky what made him so special was the moments you shared and experiences not genetics. Although I for one will be interested to see where this next step in cannine ownership leads you.

You will find though find a dog who will become just as special as Rocky is but in their own way, because you are a good owner and good owners get get dogs end of.
You don't replace you find that like "Love" your heart expands - like one size fits all.

Off to work shortly so see you later
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Just popped over to say how very sorry I am to read the sad news xx
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 04:12 PM
I haven't been on a while and im so sorry to hear about Rocky. RIP x x
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Thank you everyone for your messages of condolences, pms, prayers and thoughts.

We've been finding it very tough, cried non-stop for the first few days, only yesterday was a little easier. I didn't want to speak to or see anyone, but I gave in yesterday and let my sister come up as she and my parents have been texting me everyday getting more and more worried.

It's been hard getting his last day out of my head, with hindsight, if only we could have saved him from that last fit and insisted the vet come out that day, or registered with another vet who might have been able to come out without 24hrs notice.

At least he didn't suffer like my Aunt did, who passed away last week - and had been in hospital on morphine in great pain for over a month - I actually didn't even cry when she died, I was sad but didn't cry. I just thought I had become hardened to it all after losing my brother so many years ago - but when Rocky went, that notion went out the window!! It hurts real bad.

I do feel a bit better today tho so please don't worry. I can actually think of the good times now and smile. All the lovely walks we went on, all the games he played with his friends all the little things that made his tail wag. He was loved very much and I think he knew that - we weren't the perfect owners, sometimes being a bit too over-protective or worrying needlessly but I think we did so with his best interest at heart.

I'm such a silly sausage, I got the nurse to clip some of his hair and put it in a tube for me - only to discover that hair clippings are no good for cloning not that we could have afforded mind you, at $150,000! He was just such a lovely sweet loving dog I would do anything to turn time and space on its head and get him back.

In the last few months I was becoming more sure and sure that I would never get another dog - it's too much heartache, but yesterday I looked at Presa breeders websites to see if they had any pups 'just like Rocky' - not for looks, but his personality and expressions - of course there weren't any. I guess you go through this when you long to get back what you've lost.

Anyway I'm blabbing on now, but it helps talking. Thank you all for listening and for being there. (Sorry I've not got round to replying to all your PMs but they've all been read and appreciated.)

xx
Looks are easy to replace, it's the personality, character and all the unique things that made him "Rocky" that you cannot replace. For me, when I lost Hal I did exactly what you have done, and it is perfectly natural. But what I hope you will come to accept, just like I did, is that there will be other dogs, they won't be Rocky, just like they won't be Hal, but there will be some other special dog who will be a "Rocky" or a "Hal" without actually BEING them, if you get my meaning.

The pain eases in time, it really does, and you will look back with nostalgia but no regrets ... you clearly gave him a wonderful life, and one day, you will give a similar life to another dog, and another, and another. You will get to the stage when you can laugh about Rocky's antics, and those things that you used to curse about him also, but for now you are grieving and that is how it should be.

My only advice I can give you is that when you feel ready, get yourself another dog ... possibly a rescue Presa who needs a good home? ... we did this with Tai, we didn't really want to take him on at all because he looked too similar to Hal, but he needed the sort of home that we could give him and so we took him on as like a "pay back" for Hal. We love him to bits, he is such a good boy, and although we had doubts in the beginning, we wouldn't be without him.
maryl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Azz, yes it does hurt, very much but don't rush yourself please. Take your time, do what you want to do, whether it's making a keepsake box of special mementos (that peice of hair?), planting a tree, writing Rocky a letter. I wrote a letter to Murphy and Bobby and buried them under the trees I planted over them. Three years later I still miss them but no more tears and pain. As for berating yourself about Rocky's last seizure, try and stop the 'what ifs' we all do it, especially with epilepsy. It is so unpredictable, you can have every measure possible in place and still get caught out. He is at peace now, all healthy again and would want you to be happy again with another dog one day. xx
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 10:32 PM
So very sorry Azz, my thoughts are with you and yours.
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Oh Azz, I am so sorry to read this. I missed this thread somehow. I am heartbroken for you and hope that you are ok. Take care of yourself and think of all the good times!

Run free Rocky. x

x
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks again everyone xx

I've been trying to keep myself occupied, I can't concentrate on anything very well so started reformatting my computer last night, keep looking at Presa sites too as it's nice seeing other dogs that were just like him and that they're still around, almost like they're a piece of him living on. He'll always be alive in my heart tho.

It's been a week today, I can't believe how fast it's gone, feels like he was here just 5 minutes ago. I wish I could just give him a hug and kiss his velvety ears, and hear his cries for attention - he became a master of getting plenty of that! Such a soppy doppy dog that he was.

Thanks again everyone for your messages and PMs. xx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Hugs Azz. There are no words that can make things better for you right now, but with the passing of time brings an acceptance and you just kind of learn to get on with things. That is how it is for me anyway.

Like you, after a beloved dog has gone, I have had the same feelings of not wanting to feel that unbearable pain again and so for a while think I won't be able to get another dog. However, dogs are such a huge part of my life, and all they give to you during their life is surely worth the suffering you feel when you have to part with them. I do hope you can open your heart to another dog in time - but don't feel you have to rush your decision. Take your time to grieve and get yourself back together.

xxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Just sending a few more hugs, Azz.

Time will ease the pain, I promise you.....

x0x
Page 15 of 17 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 >