Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2012, 04:23 PM

Just realised... I am afraid of the vet

My dogs are overdue their vaccinations... But I just can't bring myself to make the appointment and take them...

Its been a few of weeks now since the vets messed up the reminder (don't worry, they're still covered, not at risk)... I was angry at the vets, then was busy so I put it out of my mind for a while...

But then time came for me to make the appointment and I just couldn't bring myself to do it... After some soul searching I have realised I have become afraid of the vets!

I have had two dogs put to sleep there, never see the same vet twice and the last time Kismet went for her vaccination jabs the young newly qualified vet messed up, hurt her and she growled at him, it was a fiasco, he leapt up as if she'd bitten him, ran from the room and brought two vet nurses in to restrain her, they muzzled her and made me leave the room while they vaccinated her. I could hear her screaming!...

When the reminder came, I started to get anxious... just thinking about making an appointment makes me want to cry...

I decided to change vets, but I still don't want to call a vets, I don't know them, what if they're worse, what if the stupid dog phobic new vet got a job with whatever vet I book with and I'm scared of going in case my fear translates to Kismet and her last experience and she attacks the vet
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Have you seen if there's a vaccination clinic nearby that you could use instead? I used one recently and it was just a corner set up in a garden centre, I think it actually helped the dogs to not be in a vet waiting room as they weren't bothered at all (took a bit of careful timing to keep Casper from reacting but the vet, receptionist/helper and other customers were great, I just waited behind an aisle out of view of the dogs until it was clear) and saves you facing it just yet. I used http://www.easipetcare.co.uk - they have quite a few clinics around the country
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Go along to Colne Valley, just because you have vaccinations done there doesn't mean you have to see them for everything. They really are absolutly brilliant especially Clare, Ben or Bill. I am sure if you explain your worries to them they will put you at ease.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-08-2012, 05:38 PM
I hate going to the vets and really dont trust half of them, if I can possibly get away with not taking my dog then I dont . I wouldn't leave my dog with any vet if I was just having vacs I would want to be there to reassure my dog, and myself. This all happened when my much loved Fozzie died in a routine castration op.
So now before I go to any new vet I go and look at their set up first, chat to them about any fears or problems I might have if I am not happy with anything they want to do to any of my animals then I tell them and we look for other ways to sort things out. We pay vets enough money nowadays so we should be happy with anything they do.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Either change vets or
Be brave for your dogs and phone up and ask for an appointment with a vet you like there . Under no circumstances ever allow your dogs to be seen by the idiot vet again .
Nobody should ever be scared of their vet , you are the paying client and it's up to them to be pleasant to you .
Tammy1976
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-08-2012, 07:39 PM
I personally would change vet. I found an amazing vet who runs his own practice and is the sole worker there. He is so good with animals its quite shocking and he is 100% available and dedicated. He is also amazingly cheap, for 2 home visits, a painkiller injection, an antibiotic injection, a course of eye drops and a follow up appointment he charged me £58!

I have been to 3 previous vets and moved on each time after being dissapointed and I strongly suggest you do the same and hunt until you find a vet that you 100% trust.

If finding a vet isn't another option then I would choose the vet you like the most at your current practice and demand to see him/her each visit.

Good luck!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm getting a friend to go with me and changing vets next week... Thanks for the support I'll let you know how kismet and I get on
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2012, 07:02 AM
I always, now, ask for a particular vet by name when I make an appointment, that way you don't get given the vet that nobody really wants

I wish I'd done that years ago for my boy but that's another story

I like to build up a relationship and for them to get to know my dog a little. No point or sense, really, in having different vets. I do sympathise if you have found you are scared of the vets - it's very hard having to take our beloved animals to them in the first place, let alone if they are not really reacting well to our pets!

The vet I see now is lovely. She takes time with my dog, explains things and listens to me too

Wys
x
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2012, 09:31 AM
I like our vets....we usually have the same (and rather tasty he is too)

I just dont get to visit very often ;-(
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-08-2012, 09:35 AM
The vet nurses etc at our practice are superb, but I wasn't too keen on the actual vet who saw Ranger a few weeks ago for his boosters. Actually muzzled him when giving his injections because 'he's a big dog'!!! Never mind that Ranger was just sat there :/
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >