register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Does a domestic dog that it will die one day?
Dogs know fine well that they will die one day 10 16.13%
Dogs can't know that they will die one day 46 74.19%
Some dogs might figure it out 6 9.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 07:49 AM
I don't know.. that's a very deep question...

having had an abused dog, I don't hold with the notion that dogs live only in the now.... did she ever know she'd die one day? I can't say I've honestly ever given it any thought..and now that I am.. I just don't know.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 08:21 AM
i dont believe dogs only live in the now, I also dont believe that they know they will die, However i do believe that if death happens & they are shown they understand that , their friend has gone.
DogBoy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-04-2009, 09:03 AM
A group of us was asked the question by a teacher once "What seperates us from animals..?", someone put up their hand and answered "Knowledge of our own mortality" which was accepted as a good answer by the teacher, it has always stuck with me for some reason and imo that is the way it goes, just as mother nature intended
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't think so, they just seem to live for the day IMO.

I think they know death when it's staring them in the face though.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 10:41 AM
I don't believe they know of their own mortality either. Also n ot sure that they seek out a quiet place to die, but far rather they go somewhere quiet because they aren't feeling well to protect themselves from the risks of being a sick animal in the open.
When I had cats they would often go somewhere quiet to get better.
Becky
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 01:11 PM
I think that if they have been around the death of another dog then maybe. But other than that i dont really think they know
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 02:39 PM
A very interesting question. Dogs know when other dogs are dying so would they know it themselves? A mother knows if her pup isn't right even if to us the pup looks fine, so I think they have more recognition of death than we give them credit for.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
A very interesting question. Dogs know when other dogs are dying so would they know it themselves? A mother knows if her pup isn't right even if to us the pup looks fine, so I think they have more recognition of death than we give them credit for.

Hmmm that puts a different perspective on it. I had thought about it as in they knew they would die someday so said no. What I've quoted is different and I agree with that
DogBoy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-04-2009, 10:23 PM
I personally think that for a dog to know it will die eventually it would have to have an understanding of time and given that time is purely a man made concept i fail to see how it could.
I think a much more interesting question would be, if dogs were given the choice would they still be mans best friend..?.
L-TRAYNOR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-04-2009, 04:50 PM
I Would Lie To Ask If Anyone Has Experienced Their Dead Pet In There Home Afer It Has Died Because I Have And Still Do
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >