View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 02:08 PM

How long does it take to heal a spaying operation?

Hi guys,

me and my OH are trying to work out which days to book off work to be with Roxy after she has had the op in April. He can take a week off but I'm not sure how long they take to heal? I dont want to bung her round my sisters with 2 dogs jumping on her until she is fully healed up.

Also I dont really want to leave her alone at the time as she might catch the wound on something.

Any advice welcome please.
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Going Home

We are as flexible as we can be, regarding sending your pet home and we do not have to discharge animals prematurely as we have ample comfortable accommodation for them. When you collect your pet we shall give you full verbal, practical and written instructions on post operative care.
Care of surgical wounds

Wounds do not normally require any attention except for you preventing your pet licking excessively at the wound, or removing the stitches. We have both anti lick products and plastic Elizabethan collars (like lampshades) for sale, to help you. We have to make a charge for re suturing wounds, often involving another anaesthetic, if stitches have been lost as a result of a lack of supervision.
Stitches out

We normally remove stitches after ten days. Bitches who have been spayed should not exercise strenuously until four weeks after their operation to give time for their internal tissue to become strong again

Natalie i got this off of my vets website if its any help at all.Only ever owning male dogs,im not sure.I have just had Ossie castrated Monday and whilst being obviously a different operation,we were told he would be fine in 10 days.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 02:49 PM
It's upto the individual dog. One of my bitches moaned and cried and screamed for the first 12 hours at home, the next day she was down a rabbit hole!
Just make sure the wound doesn't look inflamed and is clean, and of course your dog doesnt worry it. A few days will probably be all you need to take off.
Hope she's fine with it all.
Becky
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 02:57 PM
When I had my girl done. I booked her in on the Friday, picked her up around 4pm. She was out of it Friday night and very tired most of Saturday, then Sunday back to normal. She just settled in the bed.
I went back to work on Monday.

Now my situation was I did have a 10 week old puppy so I did keep him in the kitchen and restrict her to the lounge and the conservatory.

After about 5 days I started on short walks with her, but did give it four weeks before she was allowed for a mad one and I did allow 2 months before she returned to agiltiy, just to be on the safe side.

Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Fudge was ok after a couple of days. We had to lead walk her for quite a while afterwards though.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Hiya Natalie,
My CKCS was fine after about 3 days. She was very dopey the night of the op, and very quiet the following day, but the day after that she was back to her normal self

Just be with her for at least the vital 48hrs following the op I'd say, and keep a close eye on the wound, other than that she should be fine.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 08:39 PM
My girl has just been spayed and to be honest it's been a nightmare but im not going into that.

I believe its normally the stitches are in for 10 days. My vet said that during those 10 days no running up and down stairs, no jumping on chairs or sofa, no playing with other dogs, no licking stitches and no walkies. (the dog not me lol)

I would also suggest that she wears a T-shirt that is banded at the back to take up the slack. It keeps her wound clean from any dirt, stop her from accidently catching the stitches while scratching and can also make it harder to lick.

I really hope everything goes well for your girlie. Give her lots of love she'll feel very sorry for herself! x
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2007, 09:20 PM
You did make sure she was clear/carrier of VWD didnt you? Major risk otherwise, i think you have and my mind is gone again! Best of luck, Im sure she will be fine and storming round in no time.
dawn.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 10:44 AM
Hi Dawn, Her parents were both clear but we havn't had her tested I will ask the vets to do a quick test before doing the op. However she has been bitten by the other dog and stopped bleeding very quickly. I dont think theres too much of a worry.

OMG I never thought about it, but could she catch diseases off that other dog that bit her?!?!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2007, 02:42 PM
I remember it took my GS about 10 days to be going around as normal, she was 10 when she was done but still seemed to heal pretty quick, my Shar Pei was a great actress when it was first done and we put some steps up to the couch and things for her again healed really quick.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >