Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2006, 04:39 PM

Lump left after tick removal.

Just wondering if, when you remove a tick, it leaves a bit of a lump where it was on the skin?

I removed a tick from Ben several weeks ago. I got all of it out including the head (had a close inspection of the beast!! ) However there is a small lump where it was.

It isnt scabby of puss filled etc and doesnt seem to bother him in any way.

So was just wondering if this does happen and will it eventually disappear or should I take a trip to the vets?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 04:45 PM
I would just keep an eye on it but not go to the vet. My dogs often get ticks and they generally leave a small lump after they have been removed but I just pop a bit of antiseptic powder on and they eventually disappear.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Hi Joanne, I agree with Moobli, although it has been some time since I've seen ticks on mine, (thanks to Frontline), I do recall that there is always a lump left for a while. I did have one that went a bit weepy after a while and popped to the vet. They didn't treat it but said that I had probably left a bit of the tick in him. They suggested I bathe it with salt water and dust with antiseptic powder, it soon dried up after that. Hope this helps.
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Thanks guys!

Just wanted to make sure it wasnt anything out of the ordinary. I will keep an eye on it though.

Thanks again
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Hi,

Ben contracted a tick after his wee holiday to kintyre, I removed it and like you after close inspection saw that all the head etc were out, but he had a lump left, as he was going back to the vets about his kidneys I got vet to check it, and he looked very closely with a magnifying glass thing and said "no you definitely goyt it all out, it's normal for the skin to remain raised and it will go down of its own accord, nothing to worry about"

So nothing to worry about
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 07:43 PM
Despite using Frontline Harley has had six ticks on him this year. After removal they all left a small bump behind which took up to two weeks to disappear completely so would assume that a bump is always left behind for a short while.
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

06-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Living in a "Tick rich" area I have been taking them off our dogs for years. I always use surgical spirit on the tick before I remove it and then swab with surgical spirit after.
Sometimes it has left a swelling, sometimes not. I think that it may depend on how long the tick has been attached, and how deeply it has bitten its way in. I have never had one go septic, Kath.