Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 07:28 PM

Dog eaten cooked chicken bones

Hello.

I've come home tonight to find out my 2 dogs have eaten the entire contents of our bin (Other halfs fault for leaving it out!!)

Unfortunately it had the contents of lasts nights KFC in there too, so 10 greasy chicken bones all eaten.

So what should I be looking out for? they both seem quite pleased with themselves
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Hello stranger!!!
2 dogs? Have I missed something?
You need to first of all check they aren't choking or anything, then watch for them vomiting or having the runs, getting lethargic. The main problem with bones is that they can cause an obstruction or tear in the gut, so you just have to watch for signs of that.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Watch their poo, and watch for constipation or any blood in the stools. Make sure they keep drinking and watch for any coughing or wretching.
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-08-2007, 08:13 PM
I would be more worried that might start crowing lol. Im sure your dogs gastric juices will make short work of the bones
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

01-08-2007, 08:16 PM
OK, for starters, a dog's digestive system is shorter than yours. Stuff doesn't stay in there all that long, which means germs don't have a lot of time to get a grip. Also, a dog's stomach is fairly small, all things considered. A carnivore's diet of meat and fat is packed with nutrients. That means it can go a long time between meals if necessary.

You have hydrochloric acid in your stomach to help break down your food and kill unwelcome bacteria. So do dogs, but in dogs the acid is much more concentrated to help break down bones and things and kill a lot more germs.

The stomach also serves as kind of a sorting station. Stuff that can't be digested, such as plants, pieces of bone, a sock, pass right through more or less unchanged. Or if it's too big, it will come back up. Digestible food gets the acid wash and is treated by some enzymes and then passes on to the intestines.

When food passes from a dog's stomach to the intestines, it is called chyme.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Hello stranger!!!
2 dogs? Have I missed something?
You need to first of all check they aren't choking or anything, then watch for them vomiting or having the runs, getting lethargic. The main problem with bones is that they can cause an obstruction or tear in the gut, so you just have to watch for signs of that.
yeah long time no see, I hope you are keeping well. Keep a long story short, we have recently adopted Roxy's brother - Tyler. So 2 of them now, both 17 months, both crazy, and both sending my hair white
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 08:42 PM
We need pics please Nat

Oh, and just keep an eye on the dogs, as others have said.

random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 08:48 PM
They should be ok, the main worry is the bones being sharp and ripping anything from the mouth down to where they end up but if they seem ok now just keep an eye and they should be fine.

Maddy has nicked a few roast chicken carcasses from the table after Sunday lunch in her time, and when my mums dog was younger she stole 2 FULL cooked chickens in her puppyhood and scoffed the lot. We were more worried about the wee elastic bit that ties the legs together as it is cooking, but luckily she was fine.

Congrats on your lad, we do need pics of the both of them!
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by john100 View Post
I would be more worried that might start crowing lol. Im sure your dogs gastric juices will make short work of the bones
Cooked bones should never be given as they can splinter (I know in this case the dog had taken the bones, they had not been given them as such) - DobieGirl needs to keep a close eye on her dog and to get them to a vet if she suspects something is wrong. I am sure they will be fine however on another forum I am a member of, someones dog died after eating cooked bones - you do have to be cautious.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Your lucky it was KFC as they cook their bones so they are almost mushy & less likely to splinter than home cooked chicken bones but watch out for any signs they are uncomfortable when toileting or if they seem under the weather in the next few days.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >