Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 03:30 PM

Dog won't eat raw bone

Just given my dogs there second raw meaty bone (first was on sat).

They both looked a bit confused when I put it in their bowls, but collie took hers and is now sat eating it.

My lad however, is now lying behind me whilst I am on the computer with his and he is not even touching it.

I have held it for him so he can have a go chewing it, but he just keeps looking at it like it's the most disgusting thing he has ever seen
I just tried explaining to him that it's his dinner and he is a dog and should eat it, but he just squinted at me like I was telling him off.

Do I leave it with him and hope he eats it or feed him some tinned food?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 03:48 PM
I take it you are just starting to feed raw?

Have you got a meat grinder? sometimes it can be hard to convince dogs that have been used to eating dry or canned food for years that they should be eating raw meat. If you don't have a meat grinder, perhaps you could introduce them to it 'gradually' by starting out with frozen dog food. Then try introducing RMB's...

But that said, not every dog takes to raw. Two of mine could be raw fed quite easily but the other won't touch it.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 03:56 PM
My mum's lurcher Sadie will not even look at anything raw! Mine have never been as fussy.
sbt4eva
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2009, 03:59 PM
My two did exactly the same when i first introduced them them Raw,looked at me gone out.The old trick of me pretending to eat it and making silly sounds,then asking them if they wanted some worked a treat.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 04:01 PM
They had meat put through the grinder sunday and monday, and normal tinned food in the morning, so it's been introduced gradually.
My boy is usually sick after eating bones but coped with the last one fine.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Intelligent dogs.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Oh yes I did the whole 'yum yum, look mummy likes it' trick but he wasn't having it

He walked away from it in the end and Becka had it, she is still chomping away at it and I gave him a can of food, which he ate no problem.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 06:43 PM
What bones are you feeding him??

When I started with Ben I put peanut butter on a chicken wing so he got interested in it
But the same with everything, put it down 10 min then take it away and dont give anything till tomorrow - they will eat
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 06:48 PM
They are pork bones. My collie is loving them, she's full now as she has had 2.

I'm not sure I could leave him without anything, he is obviously trying to tell me he doesn't like it.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2009, 06:52 PM
It wont do him any harm to miss a meal
Next time you are giving bones try a different one - chicken and Lamb go down well with most dogs

Dont rush things with raw tho - you only want one food a time for a week or so then introduce new foods slowly so you dont even need to be feeding bones yet

and watch out for the collie - all that bones might cause constipation!! I find liver gets things moving if I have overdoone the bone
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >