Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Hi
I`ve got a rescue short-haired pointer who growls at the family. With him it`s when he`s afraid or in pain or tired and he wants to be left alone. Ignoring these signals or punishing him for `saying` he`s hurting or scared would be pointless.
When he growls we walk away. That takes the pressure off him. He gets stiff and sore after a long walk sometimes - those are times we know he needs to be left alone.
Does your dog have somewhere he can go to be quiet? It might help if you can train him to go there (and reward when he does) to give him time to get over his grumps.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
.....I recently had a puppy Millie who occasionally growled when picked up or was touched in certain places. As far as I was aware she had always been handled with care and I was very worried by her behaviour. The vet wasn't concerned because she was fit in every other way. Eventually she lost her appetite, we ran blood tests and discovered she had a serious kidney condition and in spite of all our attempts to help her she died aged 9 months .

I am so glad I did not try to show her 'who was boss' , she had most probably been in pain and deteriorating from the moment she was born but we had no way of knowing this. I am amazed she was such a sweet and biddable little dog in spite of her condition.

Mini, that is an excellent post and good illustration of why we always need to be careful, and why we need to think first carefully about what to do if a puppy does growl (or a grown dog).

I'm so sorry she died though
Wys
x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2