Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Donny dog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-03-2009, 07:01 PM

She hates me!

Hi all,

We never have to leave Ruby alone for more than a few hours at a time, but today it couldn't be helped. I know I've posted about this subject before, but today, Ruby behaved very differently when I got home.

I came in and she was her usual bum-waggling self, but totally ignored me when I put her out to do her business. She came back in and wouldn't give me eye contact and chose to sit on the sofa looking the other way. I then got her dinner ready but she didn't even try and help me! She did of course eat it, but not with the same enthusiasm as is the 'norm'.

Then the eldest came in from work and she jumped all over her loving her to bits, followed hot on the heels by Daddy who got the same treatment as she did.

Sorry if I seem to be moaning a lot, but I'm a Leo which in turn makes me a needy sod!

I've been in now for over 3 hours, and the 'sulk' continues.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2009, 07:15 PM
IMO (note that first bit) dogs don't sulk - they don't know what it is - they're dogs!
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Unfortunately you are suffering from 'it's lonely at the top' syndrome.

Basically dogs in a pack give the leader their space. They try not to provoke attacks by making direct eye contact, they do not contest with them for food, (eating faster) nor do they bounce and play all over them. This is behaviour for those they consider more their equals, trying to establish pack order through rough play, jumping up etc. A dog eating with pack mates nearby will eat faster than a dog on their own...

Now I don't entirely subscribe to the 'be pack leader' mentality that can be taken to extremes, but I do believe that dogs still have the basic instincts of a pack animal and will revert to them if not trained to do otherwise.

If you want her to treat you more like a pack mate than a pack leader... Then you will need to train her to do this. Be quick to reward her enthusiastic greetings and play with her to bring her over to you when she settles in to giving you your space and not making direct eye contact.

But be careful that this doesn't end up with her being the boss of you
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2009, 09:21 PM
She doesn't hate you silly, she's starting to be more independent and you're feeling guilty. It's a combination of the two.

Tomorrow is another day.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Awww, no she loves you
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2009, 06:29 AM
I agree with Magpye to the extent the she is relating to you as pack leader.

Mine greet me totally different to anyone else who comes in.

Other members of the family get the ''lets play, jump on you, chase me, have a toy, reaction.

When I come back in the morning's from the school, I get the ''submissive pose'', try to make you ''regurgitate reaction'' the pack leader has returned with food pose etc.,
I'm the only one they do this with. No proper eye contact etc., I am usually in a few moments before ''normality'' returns.

It's more likely your like my hubby, who often says.....''How come they don't react like that when I come in.......they really love you''