Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RedDevil
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-10-2005, 10:38 PM

Best way to clean ears?

tonight i notices our Rocky scratching his ears, more than usual..

i looked in his ear and at first i thought it looked normal, then i looked deeper.. down the crinkly bit heheh

i poked my little finger in and when i pulled it out it was full of brown muck!!! ewww

anyway, i was thinking of using a cotton bud or a baby wipe to clean his ears.... is this dangerous?

just thought id try and help the little fella

and how far down in the ear is it safe to go??
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Don't poke anything down the ear! The canine ear canal is an odd shape and you risk perforating it if you poke around. Wrap cottonwool or a clean dry cloth fairly thick around your finger and wipe the inside of the ear with that. Do not force it down the canal. If the ears are really messy then you need a vet to clean them.
If he is scratching a lot then it may be an ear infection combined with a wax build-up, so a vet visit could well be in order. Is there any odour from the ears?
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2005, 11:14 PM
i know you can buy stuff from shops to clean your dogs ears.we get get stuff from the vets to clean are dogs ears but some people use wipes but i do know that when putting anything thing in a dogs ear you have to be careful because if they move it could be damaging
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2005, 06:15 AM
Totally agree with Shadowboxer - please do not put anything down your dogs ear canal. It is very dangerous. See a vet if you're worried and let him sort it out for you Good luck
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by RedDevil
tonight i notices our Rocky scratching his ears, more than usual..

i looked in his ear and at first i thought it looked normal, then i looked deeper.. down the crinkly bit heheh

i poked my little finger in and when i pulled it out it was full of brown muck!!! ewww

anyway, i was thinking of using a cotton bud or a baby wipe to clean his ears.... is this dangerous?

just thought id try and help the little fella

and how far down in the ear is it safe to go??
I have used a baby wipe in the past to wipe my dogs ears - do it very gently though if you do and try some ear drops like Otodex ear drops available at pets shops and pets at home, they are pretty good, I used to use them for my German Shepherd and they cured his ears within a couple of days.
If they are really bad though it might be worth the vet having a look because if he has infected ears he might need some antibiotic ear drops to clear the infection.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-10-2005, 12:43 PM
get the ear cleaner from the vets put some down and wipe of any wax when it comes to the surface.
like the others have said if its bad or infected you need some treatment.
RedDevil
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-10-2005, 06:54 PM
i dont think its infected, i think its just dirty... will try the drops if that dont work ill see the vets

thanks for your replies
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-10-2005, 07:22 PM
you shouldn`t clean ears inside at all it has a natural cleaning if for any reason to clean then you should leave it to a vet
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2005, 08:24 PM
I use Leo ear cleaner for my dogs ears it is really good, available from your vets or you can buy it online here postage is free http://www.bestpetpharmacy.co.uk/det...uct.asp?id=148
Melody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2006, 11:03 PM
My 11 week old pup has been given ear cleaner and I have to do it once a week and wipe it out with cotton wool, cos he had really waxy ears at his first check up last week,
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >