View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Ok he's 11 weeks old and you are teaching him the rules and boundaries he needs to be able to live with you for the rest of his life, so if it takes six months to sink in it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things. You need to be calm and consistent at all times. Of course you will feel like you're going backwards sometimes, it happens to all of us, but stay focused on the end goal and one day it just clicks into place. 11 weeks is incredibly young to be expecting any form of consistency from him but persevere and it will come. Make everything as interesting and as fun as possible that way you find you get less frustrated. Keep training sessions short, sweet and frequent.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by Steve + Nanook View Post
So, my puppy placing his paw on the back of the neck of the older dog then both going viciously at each other because she had a treat and having to be seperated is just them playing?

Sorry, don't believe that for a second. There's playing and there's fighting.

As for expecting 'too much', all I am expecting is that everything I taught him doesn't go backwards. I'm not training him to ride a bicycle. I'm trying to get him to do the things that up until a few days ago, he had no problem doing. Sit, stay, down, paw, leave etc. it's only been a few days since he is frequently spending more time peeing in the house than outside, thankfully it's not the number 2's.

I am not expecting anything over night, but I certainly don't expect so much regression over night. Which is the problem.

P.S. From those who replied, I see none are current owners of a northern breed. I presume you all have had experiences with them, right?
Oh please this is a young puppy with an attention span of maybe 30 seconds.

Just because he's a Mal doesn't make him any different from any other puppy of the same age.

Putting a paw on another dog is an invitation to play for a puppy & not dominance, puppies do not try to dominate other dogs, cats, humans or anything else living or not.

Puppies have to explore their "new world"they cannot ask questions, they cannot understand speech, they explore with their bodies(mouth, eyes. paws etc etc)

Adult dogs give puppies an awful lot of leeway & naughty behaviour, before they eventually tell them off seriously.

Telling off doesn't work, I often ask my dogs-what part of don't bark etc do they not understand-to date after 50 odd years of training/owning dogs none has replied to me !

Chill out & go back to basics, it's often one step forward & three backwards with puppies. If your dog toilets in the house it's your fault for not being vigilant enough. Take your puppy outside every hour or so, every time it wakes up, after he has been fed & if he looks like he wants to go & stay with him until he toilets outside & praise & treat him when he does so. If he goes indoors, clean it up & say nothing at all. He will not be doing out of"badness", dogs have no sense of right & wrong, only what is rewarding & what isn't.

Make sure the older dog has some time out away from your puppy & also enforce time outs for your puppy so that he rests for a good period of time.

I've never owned a mal or any other "Northern breed"but I do know lots of breeds & non breedes of dog & believe me all puppies are the same. I've had GSDs for most of my life & have never had a single dog that tried to dominate me or the other dogs from being a puppy, a trully dominant dog doesn't have to do very much to show it's rank believe me & usually the "top dog"in a pack is rarely the most vocal or physical one.
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2010, 03:32 PM
I own a Northern Inuit and also a dog boarding business. I brought Kiba home at 8 weeks old and did puppy parties at the vets with him from 10 weeks to get him used to other dogs. If you have this opportunity available to you then do it as it taught Kiba a lot about playing with different sized dogs.

Kiba was introduced to adult dogs at 11 weeks old. I made sure to introduce him to as many dogs as possible, big, medium and small.

The best way for your puppy to learn 'doggy manners' is for him to be around as many other dogs as possible. The bigger the better as they are more likely to put him in his place. If you have any friends with friendly dogs meet up for a walk, or better yet ask them to bring their dog to the house as this is 'his' territory and where he really needs to learn the rules.

What's been mentioned before is certainly true. You can't expect him to have mastered all these things in 3 weeks. Kiba was practically housetrained at 8 weeks old, yet we still had occasional accidents up to 5 months. Kiba's bite inhibition was sorted at 12 weeks but he will still mouth when excited even now.

Kiba learnt his doggy manners from the boarding dogs we had in. As a human we can only teach our pups so much, the rest they have to learn from themselves.

To be honest, for the health of the other dog concerned I suggest you find someone else to look after her as it's obviously stressing her and she's obviously not used to dealing with puppies. If you live anywhere near us, feel free to pop down sometime and some of my larger boarding dogs and Kiba will soon teach your pup about the pack.
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 08:21 PM

Is this seriously going to get better?

What is his breeding?

I would forget dominance theories etc - he is being a naughty puppy and a spoilt demanding brat - be firm.

Don't give in to crate howling etc - warn the neighbours that you have a pup and are persevering in training - maybe with a bottle of wine
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2010, 08:24 PM
P.S. From those who replied, I see none are current owners of a northern breed. I presume you all have had experiences with them, right?
I am an experienced Malamute owner and other breed owner.
A puppy is a puppy. Dog training is dog training.

Some people become too focused on breed etc and use it as an excuse for behaviour etc -- ignore these people and train your pup as any pup.

Malamutes are very clever dogs - mine competes in obedience and does agility as well as sled racing - they learn very quickly - but do also learn bad things fast too - persevere ... have you read "The perfect puppy" by Gwen Bailey?
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4