Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2011, 06:00 PM

When should a male dog get neutered?

I have a nearly 4 month old GSP pup, and as I don't breed he will be getting the snip. Now this is the first male dog I have had for nearly 20 years! And they keep changing when the best time to spay/neuter is, so I thought I would ask what you guys think?
The last male I did have was while I still lived in America and was a pitbull who I had done at 6 months (as vet recommended at the time) but I know since then they keep going back and forth on when it should be done. Hope you guys can help me
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi Chaospony you will no doubt receive a lot of different opinions.
I usually have bitches and always have them spayed these days having lost two and saved one with pyometra. I like them to reach maturity and spay midway between seasons when there is less chance of haemorrhage.

Dogs are a different story. If I had a dog, as a responsible owner I would make sure my dog never strayed so I would not be too eager to have it neutered if at all. If I was having him neutered I would prefer that he reached maturity first.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 07:30 PM
I concur with Minihaha. And funnily enough was talking to a 9 year old staffie's owner today who said he'd nearly lost her to a pyometra a few weeks before.

I have always had my females spayed, apart from my first one though I was young and naive back then. All my others have been rescues or second hand and have been spayed within a couple of months of them coming to live with me. Apart from Sophie who was spayed at 6 months old by her previous owner.

My Tibetan Mastiff made it to 5 years old before the plum fairy came to visit. He had never bothered before, but there must have been a female in season close by and he was like a whining, pacing, peeing, raving lunatic for 3 weeks. He was so bad I booked him in and had them whipped off as neither he, I or the neighbours slept very well. He came back from the vets a reformed character as I think he was worried about what I'd send him to have chopped off next.

I really wouldn't personally spay or neuter a dog of either sex until they have hit physical and sexual maturity unless there was some pressing medical reason for it. Of course, the age of maturity can depend on the size of the dog. I doubt I would have neutered Flynn at all had he not started to act like a different dog than his normal affable self.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by chaospony View Post
I have a nearly 4 month old GSP pup, and as I don't breed he will be getting the snip. Now this is the first male dog I have had for nearly 20 years! And they keep changing when the best time to spay/neuter is, so I thought I would ask what you guys think?
The last male I did have was while I still lived in America and was a pitbull who I had done at 6 months (as vet recommended at the time) but I know since then they keep going back and forth on when it should be done. Hope you guys can help me

Why does he need to be neutered?

A dog does not need to be neutered to not be bred from
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Everyone has a different view and a lot depends on your own individual circumstances, environmental conditions, control over your dog and if you have any entire bitches in the house.

Most vets do not give both the pros and cons to neutering. Sex hormones govern more than procreation. They also impact on maturity and growth plate closure; there is evidence that neutering too young can have an adverse impact in various ways. Especially if you are considering using your dog in performance sports.

Whilst neutering does decrease the risks of some issues it can in fact increase the likelihood of others.

Why not look at the links to get a full picture.

I currently have an entire 6 year old male, and I have no intention of castrating him unless for medical reasons.

http://caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Why does he need to be neutered?

A dog does not need to be neutered to not be bred from
My view on it is it is unfair to let him keep them (with the urges and never let him use them) plus the fact that I can never say he might never get away from me to roam at any point later in life, I have never had it happen, but there is no guarantee if he is being looked after by some one else while I am away ect.
All of my animals have always been altered and I have never ever had any problems with any of them due to that.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Everyone has a different view and a lot depends on your own individual circumstances, environmental conditions, control over your dog and if you have any entire bitches in the house.

Most vets do not give both the pros and cons to neutering. Sex hormones govern more than procreation. They also impact on maturity and growth plate closure; there is evidence that neutering too young can have an adverse impact in various ways. Especially if you are considering using your dog in performance sports.

Whilst neutering does decrease the risks of some issues it can in fact increase the likelihood of others.

Why not look at the links to get a full picture.

I currently have an entire 6 year old male, and I have no intention of castrating him unless for medical reasons.

http://caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf
Thank you for the links!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by chaospony View Post
My view on it is it is unfair to let him keep them (with the urges and never let him use them) plus the fact that I can never say he might never get away from me to roam at any point later in life, I have never had it happen, but there is no guarantee if he is being looked after by some one else while I am away ect.
All of my animals have always been altered and I have never ever had any problems with any of them due to that.
Going by some of the neutered males I have met, I think they still have them

Your view is yours to have and thats fair enough but I wouldnt say my dog was particularly unhappy due to not being mated. We have never had any problem with entire males in this family either. Tbh, I hope my dog never gets out to roam, I think it unlikley BUT as you say not impossible. Certainly the fact that he is entire shouldnt cause him to in itself. TBH, I would be more worried about cars etc if he did.

I know neutered dogs that hump everything, dont like other males etc etc, so I didn't feel that neutering would have particularly helped my dog out that way either.

I definately think if your going to neuter that you would be better to wait until full maturity, IMHO, at least a few years.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
Going by some of the neutered males I have met, I think they still have them

Your view is yours to have and thats fair enough but I wouldnt say my dog was particularly unhappy due to not being mated. We have never had any problem with entire males in this family either. Tbh, I hope my dog never gets out to roam, I think it unlikley BUT as you say not impossible. Certainly the fact that he is entire shouldnt cause him to in itself. TBH, I would be more worried about cars etc if he did.

I know neutered dogs that hump everything, dont like other males etc etc, so I didn't feel that neutering would have particularly helped my dog out that way either.

I definately think if your going to neuter that you would be better to wait until full maturity, IMHO, at least a few years.
Yeah I would just be more worried about him coming to harm if he ever did get out, but I also would not want him making babies that may or may not be easy to home while out. And yes I too have met those humping ones, and to me that comes down to training, and isn't a problem I have ever had with any past dogs.
I am also a horse person and we are having these same debates on when it should happen, due to growth and such. But with them stud behaviour can be very dangerous!
And since it has been so long since my last male I figured things would have changed, as they have with females. I have no intention of getting him done too early just trying to figure out when would be the best.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2011, 08:59 PM
I had Jake done at 18 months.

He has never humped anything (that I have seen) in his life.

He is certainly calmer, but he was a very OTT rescue at 5 months, so training may be more of a factor.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »