Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 06:23 PM

A Holiday with the Dogs - Where?

My Mum and I are planning on going away with the 3 dogs sometime in September. I'm not fussed about a coastal location, in fact i'd like a rural location with pretty villages nearby and lots of walks for the dogs where they can be safe and have the freedom to be off lead running about.

Since my Mum doesnt drive and i'd be doing it all, I dont want to be travelling great distances from Nottingham so I think Scotland and the extreme North of England along with the West Country are off limits.

Has anybody been on a holiday which was perfect for their dogs and they would reccommend? I love rambling so i'm not put off by hills or rugged terrain (although my Mum might be!) and if anybody has got any information on actual cottages or any other self catering accommodation i'd be grateful.

Since my search criteria is wide I really dont know where to start!
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2011, 07:47 PM
There's a sc cottage on the homepage of www.agilitynet.co.uk that takes dogs. It's called leighton cottage and is in bowes in county Durham. Not sure if that is too far? I've never stayed there or know anyone who has but it looks nice and very dog friendly.
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-01-2011, 08:04 PM
Found another one. Have a look at laverock holiday cottages they are in the same sort of area but also sound very dog friendly.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the replies, think i've looked at Laverock before. I quite fancy Co. Durham, heard good things about it.
MINIMUM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2011, 08:55 PM
we went on a lovely i a cottage in deavon. it was in a cottage called the dairy (i think). It was in a rural location and as you came out of the cottage you were right on the moore. The moore was so close that the wild ponies would look through the living room window. There were plenty of walks on the doorstep and we hardly drove anywhere. The dog loved it, the pub was about two miles away and you could take wel behaved dogs in. Hope this helps - look on 'welcome cottages' as I think that is where I found the cottage - good luck!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Anglesey? Or the Lleyn Peninsula?
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Home farm stables B&B, Norfolk. Brilliant place. Allowed friendly dogs. Beautiful walks and beaches. Very friendly.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 01:46 PM
I've stayed at a lovely cottage on the Worcestershire/Hereford border in the past (we had 8 dogs & they still allowed us to stay). It is an old & very picturesque cottage set in its own large garden, & surrounded by a field that we used to walk the dogs first thing in the morning. It's completely isolated but the nearest decent town is only 6 miles away. Lovely walks in country parks, forests & not too far from the Malvern Hills.

I also know another lovely cottage in the Forest of Dean that takes dogs, has a half-acre fully fenced garden with lovely views & is only a 15 min drive to the centre of the Forest of Dean so lots of great dog walks. Late September/early October is the perfect time to visit the Forest of Dean ~ it's absolutely spectacular.

PM me if you want details as I would not be happy putting details on an open forum.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Great suggestions guys...The Forest of Dean appeals to me a great deal and is probably the kind of area i'd be looking at.

I've got some ideas now so I can start Googling!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Thanks for the replies, think i've looked at Laverock before. I quite fancy Co. Durham, heard good things about it.
There's a good chance they were inebriated!

Seriously though, it is lovely up here. Although I'd choose North Yorks over Co. Durham any day, just personal preference though! Osmotherley is a fab little place, great for walking. Just been there today and am going to put some pics up shortly.

For me though, the ideal doggy holiday will always be The Lakes, I've never been on holiday anywhere so dog friendly in my life.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >