View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-12-2009, 03:01 AM
I think we are over vaccinating now and the trend is away from it. Here, most of the states have repealed the yearly rabies requirement passed due to people feeling we need to do something no matter how little science there was to support it. The whole subject attracts far too much emotion and too little fact. I would like to see higher volume bring the price of titers down. There is a fortune out there for the company that manages to do it.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Kris L Christine has done a lot of work lobbying in the usa

http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

apparently arkansas are now looking at changing the protocol to every 3 years which is apparently standard?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 12:08 PM
As you live in Turkey I assume the conditions are different. However, it is worth looking at the manufacturers recommendations for each vaccine. The Rabies shot we used last had a 3 year `life` which is accepted internationally.
I assume Kalazar is also rife? I uderstand the best prevention for that is a medicated anti-bug collar.
I think you should look at the risks - including the age of your pet, the likely state of their immune system which vaccinations will affect, and local conditions - and make up your own mind.
I live in an area with no feral dogs and good vet. services. I don`t put my dogs in kennels or go to shows or clubs where proof is necesary. Therefore I don`t give my dogs the boosters. For you it might be different.
This is a complicated subject and I don`t think one can generalise. I think each case needs to be judged individually.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Bibby, it is a decision that only you can make really. For what it's worth, my advice would always to go for the vaccinations for the first 3 years. After that, my personal view is that you are just wasting your money ... and possibly even risking your dog's life, particularly if they are northern breed types or wolf crosses, because these dogs suffer far higher incidences of going into anaphylactic shock following a jab than other breeds. The theory behind only vaccinating for the first 3 years is that following this period, the immune system will be well and truly woken up to those diseases that they have been vaccinated against.

I would google as much as I could if I were you, Bibby, especially with regards to Turkey because what may be good practice in the UK could be just the opposite in Turkey. Then when you have the facts for and against, you can make a sensible decision.
Good luck with whatever decision you make ... whichever one it is, you must never castigate yourself if it turned out to be the wrong one. I believe that neither side is totally correct on the subject of annual vaccinations, and that it is down to each individual dog owner to make their own reasoned and logical choice.
This is a good point. You have to find out how prevalent these illnesses are where you live. I only do puppy jabs personally.
EBMEDIC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-12-2009, 11:58 AM
vaccinations are required. Some brands will provide protection for 3 years, some others 1 year (disease is also important). Unless there is data to support changes in manufacturers recommendations it is unwise to follow any other protocols. Titre testing will give false confidence for a number of reasons as not all antibodies are protective in all cases.

Over vaccination is a fantasy. The data in all species including humans does not support adverse reaction (unless you cherry pick poorly designed studies)

Vaccination is probably the most important medical intervention that the human race has invented. Its benefits massively outweigh risks, such as anaphylaxis.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2009, 02:42 PM
I was also surprised to discover recently that not vaccinating ours would invalidate our insurance.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by EBMEDIC View Post
Over vaccination is a fantasy. The data in all species including humans does not support adverse reaction (unless you cherry pick poorly designed studies)
That is an incredibly irresponsible - and factually wrong - statement to make. Of course vaccines can cause adverse reactions. There is no such thing as a vaccine that is 100% safe in everyone. One only has to look at manufacturers SPCs to see that there is the possibility of adverse reactions.

As an example, I randomly pulled up the manufacturer's SPC for Priorix, which of course includes details of unwanted reactions:

http://emc.medicines.org.uk/document...ocumentId=2054

An example for dogs:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Fort...LC/-32691.html

Contra-indications, warnings, etc
FOR ANIMAL TREATMENT ONLY
Do not use in pregnant or lactating bitches.
Following the first vaccination, it is very common for puppies to develop a small visible swelling (<2 cm) lasting for generally only two days. Following the second vaccination, it is very common for a small visible swelling (up to 5 cm) to be seen at the injection site, which may last for up to five days. The swelling may be painful for 1-2 days. In most cases these small and transient injection site reactions resolve with no need for treatment.
In very rare cases, type I hypersensitivity reactions (facial oedema, urticaria, anaphylactic reaction), vomiting and diarrhoea may be observed after vaccination. In the event of an allergic or anaphylactic reaction, immediate appropriate symptomatic treatment should be given.
If you notice any serious effects or other effects not mentioned in this leaflet, please inform your veterinary surgeon.
Only healthy dogs should be vaccinated. The vaccine may not be effective in dogs incubating the disease at the time of vaccination.
No information is available on the safety and efficacy of the concurrent use of this vaccine with any other. It is therefore recommended that no other vaccine should be administered within 14 days before or after vaccination with this product.
Animals that have received immunosuppressive drugs (eg glucocorticoids) should not be vaccinated until an interval of at least 4 weeks has elapsed.
The live virus strains present in the vaccine may spread to unvaccinated animals, but do not cause disease.
The efficacy of the CDV, CPV and CAV components of the vaccine may be reduced due to maternal antibody interference. However, the vaccine has been proved to be of benefit against virulent challenge in the presence of maternal antibody levels to CDV, CAV and CPV that are likely to be encountered under field conditions. In situations where higher MDA levels are expected the vaccination protocol should be planned accordingly.
Withdrawal period
Not applicable.
EBMEDIC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-12-2009, 08:11 PM
With respect Lucky Star, it is inappropriate to conflate two issues though I will admit to poor phrasing.

I will clarify if possible. The paragraph which you rightly question is in reference to the mythical condition of "Over vaccination". This condition has no theoretical framework or data to support its existence.

Adverse reactions do occur though they are rare. The vast majority are minor and documented cases of fatalities are in single figures for the millions of vaccines administered (actually this is an assumption In fact I can't find one in the literature). This is compared to the thousands if not millions of dogs etc that die yearly world wide from vaccine preventable diseases.

This is acknowledged In the third paragraph which you fail to quote.

What IS irresponsible is to dissuade anyone from vaccination for what is in fact a rich persons fad. Be it in kids dogs or cats.

I accept a poorly worded sentence. I hope that the message gets through. Get dogs vaccinated, until there is good peer reviewed data follow the data sheet. Ignore breeders advice that deviates from this and provide the best care for your pet.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 08:28 PM
With respect to you, EBMED, you are well known for your pro-vaccine stance and only offer your own opinion.

This was your opinion last year:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...fe#post1605099

I suspect the posters on this thread are too close-minded and are a lost cause.

BUT

1. Vaccines are safe, all of them.

It is your opinion that over-vaccination is 'mythical'. And why should your opinion hold more sway than anyone elses?

I did not advocate that people should not vaccinate their dogs. I am very much of the opinion that the decision as to whether to vaccinate or not should be evalutated against each indivudual human or dog and on the relative threat of the disease compared to the vaccine.

How are long-term side effects that happen a good time after the vaccine is given accounted for?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by EBMEDIC View Post

What IS irresponsible is to dissuade anyone from vaccination for what is in fact a rich persons fad. Be it in kids dogs or cats.

I
What on earth does this mean?
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >