Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 10:36 AM

Vomiting on an empty stomach

I have a 5 year old Lhasa x Bichon. She was a 1.5 year old rescue that'd been horribly abused. Food has always been an issue with her. at first she was so scared to eat that she buried all her food in my bed, I dont think she ate much of it, she was too skinney. after she began to trust me enough, I had her spayed (1.5 years after I got her). Now she is chubby. I am really careful with her food in the ammount and brand that I feed her. She was on one brand for 4 years but we could not keep the weight off. she was on the weight control and was only getting a 1/4 cup 2 x per day. so I changed her food to another brand with even less calories in it and she started to loose weight finally. She was not fat by any means, but she was carrying a pound or 2 more than she should. well now she has started puking when her stomach is empty. we've tried alot of different things, but other than giving her some of my other dogs food in the morning and feeding her 3 times per day, nothings worked. Unfortunately, she has started to gain weight again. I just cant seem to find a solution that will keep the carpets clean and the weight off. Any ideas?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 10:55 AM
When is she vomiting and when do you feed her?
Becky
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 11:08 AM
She used to be fed at 6 am and 6 pm, and she would puke sometime in the afternoon. right now she is getting 1\3 of a cup of food at 6am, 1/4 at 3 pm and 1/4 at 9 pm this is the only way that I've found so far that will keep her from puking. but like I said, She's gaining weight again!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 11:29 AM
Reduce what you give her by 25% still split into 3 meals. Feed her slightly later in the morning and slightly earlier for her 2nd meal. That should help a lot.
Becky
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Willow used to vomit up bile when I fed her on a regular schedule just before her morning feed.

It's there stomach getting ready for a feed, full of digestive juices ready for the meal. If the meal doesn't arrive they simply vomit up the bile to get rid of it.

Two things can help. Feeding a snack shortly before they would vomit. Or not feeding to a schedule; just feeding at random times during the day; this takes a few days for them to settle into but does work.

HTH
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2007, 09:05 PM
My JRT Milo does this so he has his food split into 4 meals a day. That seemed to sort him for a while, but then his stomach got very acidy again, so he is now on Zantac twice a day to line his stomach as well as the 4 meals a day and everything is fine again.