View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Jessie does this quite alot, i'd never experienced it before with any dog so I did used to think she was choking. She did it once and it was quite a bad episode and it made her panic, she looked really unsettled and frightened.

It was actually SLB who told me it was reverse sneezing.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks for this thread H (can't reppie you )
I've never heard of this and I think I would have been frightened stiff if it had happened to Pepsi. A case of brown trousers
It would still worry me but at least I would know roughly what was going on.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Just had a nosey around some of the other videos on there - did you see the one of the pug where the owner sort of covers the nostrils to stop it? I might try that next time.
I've heard of that, and know a Yorkie owner who swears by it, but i've never yet had occasion to try it.

I would assume the rationale is that as long as they are inhaling it keeps the soft palate obstructing the airway, like a valve, so blocking the nostrils allows it to fall away again and free up the airways.

Alternatively maybe it's like curing hiccups and it works in stress-triggered dogs by giving them something else to think about?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Yes, having done some more research using the veterinary term for this, the vets say it does work to pinch the nose as you gently rub the trachea, but in all honestly, when you see your dog fighting for breath like that, would you be able to do such a thing? Don't know if I could, unless I knew for SURE that it would help the situation.

Talking of huccups, I first thought it was some form of that, but it was far too voilent this morning, plus I used to have another dog who got hiccups on a regular basis and she used to go into panic mode, so we always tried to distract her with something......but then again, could it have actually been this reverse sneezing

So glad, this has been an informative post to many of you, that's what Dogsey is all about really isn't it (instead of fighting lol! )

Looking back with Zena, she used to do this quite regularly as a puppy and I remember Dave saying how ridiculous it was, that she couldn't seem to enjoy a bit of running around as she should have done, because this would happen, but thankfully, I haven't seen it for about 2 years until today, so I'll just have to see how it goes now. We weren't overdoing it by any means, in fact, this is a part of our walk, where she just jogs along sniffing, and I had stopped to chat, all very strange.

I'm wondering if over salivating can be associated with this too, because I've always noticed this with Zena, even as a puppy, some days, her gob is like a frothed up horse on the bit (which of course you WANT in that case!), but I have to say, I've never, ever seen this in any of my dogs before. Off to Google I go again then!!!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 07:01 PM
My 2 CKCS used to do this, but unfortunately for them they done it because they had auto immune disease which had caused ulceration of their throats.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 07:11 PM
My dogs have all done it at some point! It isn't very nice to watch and used to worry about it but now I just let them get on with it!! Very weird though!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-08-2011, 07:21 PM
I tend to open Tia's mouth and massage her above her nose..
She is pretty flat faced..
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yes, having done some more research using the veterinary term for this, the vets say it does work to pinch the nose as you gently rub the trachea, but in all honestly, when you see your dog fighting for breath like that, would you be able to do such a thing? Don't know if I could, unless I knew for SURE that it would help the situation.

Talking of huccups, I first thought it was some form of that, but it was far too voilent this morning, plus I used to have another dog who got hiccups on a regular basis and she used to go into panic mode, so we always tried to distract her with something......but then again, could it have actually been this reverse sneezing

So glad, this has been an informative post to many of you, that's what Dogsey is all about really isn't it (instead of fighting lol! )

Looking back with Zena, she used to do this quite regularly as a puppy and I remember Dave saying how ridiculous it was, that she couldn't seem to enjoy a bit of running around as she should have done, because this would happen, but thankfully, I haven't seen it for about 2 years until today, so I'll just have to see how it goes now. We weren't overdoing it by any means, in fact, this is a part of our walk, where she just jogs along sniffing, and I had stopped to chat, all very strange.

I'm wondering if over salivating can be associated with this too, because I've always noticed this with Zena, even as a puppy, some days, her gob is like a frothed up horse on the bit (which of course you WANT in that case!), but I have to say, I've never, ever seen this in any of my dogs before. Off to Google I go again then!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Don't google that - you will end up convinced that Zena has rabies or something

Our first dog, Ben, used to froth up on walks if he found lots of exciting things to sniff.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 07:43 PM
My last dog did it, the first time she did it I rushed her to the vet thinking she was having an asthma like attack I was petrified, the vet said she was just trying to clear her throat, it was about 10 yrs ago when it happened
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2011, 08:13 PM
I am scared witless every time Parker or Izzy sneezes as this was one of Cherry's symptoms and she had a nasal fungal infection which was so serious we had her put to sleep sadly.

I guess I never noticed Parker sneezing before as I presume all dogs do this to some extent?
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >