Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ayak
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2008, 04:12 AM

Pulled muscle?

I think I joined this forum just at the right time. I discovered it whilst looking for a treatmentfor a wasp sting last week for my dog Beki. And it's proving to be a bad week for her.

On Sunday evening my husband took Beki out for her last walk and as usual she chased a cat. When she came back in she was crying and when I stroked her she screamed. In particular if I touched her back near her tail and her thigh.

My husband said that she had chased the cat, who then disappeared over a wall and Beki came to an abrupt halt...almost like putting brakes on..and this is the only thing we can think of that would have caused damage.

She went to the vet yesterday who said she had probably pulled a muscle. She's been given Rimadyl for 5 days. I've noticed some mixed opinions on this drug on this site so am interested in your comments.

It's difficult to find a good vet here in Turkey. The one we have at the moment is the best we can find but I m always a little concerned about whether they make the correct diagnosis.

Beki is feeling sorry for herself..she's quieter than usual and clearly uncomfortable when getting up, but once up and about seems OK.

I welcome any comments and advice as to whether you think the vet's diagnosis is accurate, whether Rimadyl is the right treatment, and any other suggestions to make my girl more comfortable.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2008, 07:42 AM
Muscle damage is so painful, and I feel for your dog. Rimadyl is pretty good, however, I prefer Metacam.

Hope your dog's pain eases soon - try and keep her quiet for a few days, and no off-lead walking.

x0x
Ayak
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks Vicki. She's keeping pretty quiet of her own accord so I know she's not her usual self. She's still crying when she gets up from lying down.

Should I reduce the amount of walking at the moment? Or should I encourage her to walk more? It's just that the longer she lies down, the stiffer she appears to be when getting up. Having never had a dog with muscle damage before, I'm not too sure what is best for her.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2008, 12:41 PM
I think (though I'm not a vet) that they usually say one day of complete rest and then short, regular walks (on lead) after that. If she does too much, it won't heal.

Hope she's feeling better soon
Ayak
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks Hali xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Sorry I didn't respond - I agree with Hali, and definitely no off-lead walking. Gentle exercise is what's required.

Good luck x
Ayak
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Just thought I would let you know that Beki is so much better. This is the 4th day on Rimadyl and it seems to be doing the trick. She's had no side effects, apart from a little drowsiness at first. I know she is getting back to normal as she is on the balcony, growling at cats again!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Thats good to hear.
Still don't let her do too much though - just increase her exercise gradually and watch for any discomfort.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Glad she is feeling better now. Soon be out chasing those pesky cats again Can we have some pics please
Elaine xx
Ayak
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Yes...I'm following your advice Hali...taking it slowly.

Elaine...I still have to work out how to post a couple of pics here...I am the most computer illiterate person you could possibly meet..so it will take me some time!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >