dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by horses01466 View Post
I rate him 10 out of 10
What is it, bout boxers having to have loads of white on them,
esp, when it says that they should be predominantly a solid colour
Sorry. no offence to those with lots of white, but I prefer the boxer which is more one colour, just because I see boxers as guard dogs, and whitey dogs look to pretty to me, not what the boxer was intended to look like, I thought they were suppose to intimidate an intrudor
Does any one agree??
My girls do gaurd the house to a certain degree , Until you get threw front door , Then when they are told to stop barking ,They then start to settle down and start wiggling there bums and licking you to death , But I would not want them to be mean ,As I dont feel its in there nature to be so , Yes they are protective and loyal and do so when the need arises ,But other than that they are extremley loving and playful xxdk
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-03-2008, 04:11 PM
I think you will find they are said to guard???????????
Characteristics
Lively, strong, loyal to owner and family, but distrustful of strangers. Obedient, friendly at play, but with guarding instinct.

Temperament
Equable, biddable, fearless, self-assured.

They can have a guarding instinct, but ask many a Boxer owner would they class their dogs as guard dogs, and they would say No,

Some are more so than others, but to intimidate people is not something we want our breed to be known for.

My own, will bark their heads off, but anyone who enters my house does so at their own peril, they will be licked /slobbered/jumped on.

They have Been used for many yrs, in all aspects of working life.

And why, do they have to be coloured??????????????
Flashy!.... this is the term used for the show ring.

Fashion dictates what is acceptable in the show ring.

Fawn or brindle. White markings acceptable not exceeding one-third of ground colour.

Over the development of the Boxer , prefer ed colour has changed depending on the job they where doing, Whites where considered too conspicuous in the war... Solid took over, (if you look far enough back you will see some Solid show Champions..... but the US (cant remember when , need to look it up) prefered the "flashy" in the ring... hence it has become the prefered choice for the show Boxer.

Although the US , sail close to the wind on their one third white, criteria..... for me, they favour far to much white on their Boxers.
horses01466
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Ok, they dont have to be coloured
But jackbox just said it is fact, if they are not coloured they will not do well in the show ring,
Which I am not disputing, I see its always flashy dogs that tend to win

What I cant understand , is why? do the judges all pick dogs which are coloured and not solid?
And are white dogs not recognised by the KC?????????
I think Boxers are still guard dogs? But thats just my opinion.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2008, 04:17 PM
But jackbox just said it is fact, if they are not coloured they will not do well in the show ring,

What I cant understand , is why? do the judges all pick dogs which are coloured and not solid?
I agree they have a good gaurding instinct , I show both mine at companion shows , And I too find the judge seems to go for my flashy bitch quicker than my solid bitch , But personally to me a boxer is a boxer regardless of wether or not its flashy or solid , xxdk
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Boxers were originally bred to hunt, not to guard though.... to bring down bull and bear etc in the woods...

My 2 will bark for all they're worth and then go all giddy and licky at whoever is visiting...
horses01466
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Yes, I agree Dollyknockers
I dont think its fair, that it all seems to come down to colour...
i live out in the sticks, and to me, my boxer tells me if anything is wrong, she alerts, me. Sorry, I am not trying to discredit the breed, but the way i see it, is she guards the
house, and me!!!!! And yes, due to her overwhelming love and loyalty.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-03-2008, 04:24 PM

No , I did not say it was fact....I said "the fact is" solid dogs will not do as well in the ring as their flashy cousins... I did say their was one in the ring last yr...(although not seen her this yr) that was solid, and she did do well.

I spoke to my breeder (well respected) ans she said she would place a solid dog ,"if" it was good enough.

So it is nt cut and dried... but on the whole you are fighting an uphill battle in the ring with a solid dog.

But dont let that stop anyone who wishes to have a go...you never know, you may just find an unprejudiced judge.

Whites are KC registered, but are not classed as breed standard, and should never be bred from.

I have a friend with a solid boy , he is stunning, he has the most fabulous head..(if I get permission I will post this pic) he has a little white on him, but she wont show him, sometimes she thinks about it, and he would do well in solid classes.

Look at Carole`s Finn...he is stunning, another with a fabulous head, good conformation, if he was flashy we would do extremely well in the ring.....I LOVE HIM.
horses01466
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Characteristics
Lively, strong, loyal to owner and family, but distrustful of strangers. Obedient, friendly at play, but with guarding instinct.

Temperament
Equable, biddable, fearless, self-assured.

They can have a guarding instinct, but ask many a Boxer owner would they class their dogs as guard dogs, and they would say No,

Some are more so than others, but to intimidate people is not something we want our breed to be known for.

My own, will bark their heads off, but anyone who enters my house does so at their own peril, they will be licked /slobbered/jumped on.

They have Been used for many yrs, in all aspects of working life.

Flashy!.... this is the term used for the show ring.

Fashion dictates what is acceptable in the show ring.

Fawn or brindle. White markings acceptable not exceeding one-third of ground colour.

Over the development of the Boxer , prefer ed colour has changed depending on the job they where doing, Whites where considered too conspicuous in the war... Solid took over, (if you look far enough back you will see some Solid show Champions..... but the US (cant remember when , need to look it up) prefered the "flashy" in the ring... hence it has become the prefered choice for the show Boxer.

Although the US , sail close to the wind on their one third white, criteria..... for me, they favour far to much white on their Boxers.
thats interesting..........
no, my boxer is very suspicious of strangers...........
horses01466
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
No , I did not say it was fact....I said "the fact is" solid dogs will not do as well in the ring as their flashy cousins... I did say their was one in the ring last yr...(although not seen her this yr) that was solid, and she did do well.

I spoke to my breeder (well respected) ans she said she would place a solid dog ,"if" it was good enough.

So it is nt cut and dried... but on the whole you are fighting an uphill battle in the ring with a solid dog.

But dont let that stop anyone who wishes to have a go...you never know, you may just find an unprejudiced judge.

Whites are KC registered, but are not classed as breed standard, and should never be bred from.

I have a friend with a solid boy , he is stunning, he has the most fabulous head..(if I get permission I will post this pic) he has a little white on him, but she wont show him, sometimes she thinks about it, and he would do well in solid classes.

Look at Carole`s Finn...he is stunning, another with a fabulous head, good conformation, if he was flashy we would do extremely well in the ring.....I LOVE HIM.
Sorry... but if you are saying the ..fact is... then its is a fact?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

17-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Yes, I agree Dollyknockers
I dont think its fair, that it all seems to come down to colour...
i live out in the sticks, and to me, my boxer tells me if anything is wrong, she alerts, me. Sorry, I am not trying to discredit the breed, but the way i see it, is she guards the
house, and me!!!!! And yes, due to her overwhelming love and loyalty.
I know what you are saying, all dogs will alert us to intruders, noises, and so on.

A Boxer was not bred to pacifically guard, they have a guarding instinct like many other breeds....there are breeds that where pacifically bred to "guard" and do the job well
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >