Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 12:53 PM

Dog question/ Dogo Argentino

Does anyone know if there are any Dogo Argentino in this country?
I think they are a wonderful looking breed and just thought I'd ask- and also cos Im bored at work and should be at Crufts instead
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Hi Lel,

As far as I know no but it's not impossible somebody has sneaked one in I doubt they would be shouting from the rooftops though lol. I know that before they were addded to the DDA there was never one imported into the country (or the Fila either) and as far as I know there has not been one brought in since but again it's not impossible I doubt it but dont know for sure.

I know there have been some pups for sale in the UK advertised as Dogos but it is said they are just an American Bulldog that resembles one or clever crosses. I know there is a breed new to the country called the Dogue Brasilio (or something like that) which is similar in looks but is a cross of Boxer and Bulldog (I think lol).

Laura
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks Laura
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:12 PM
yeah i was gonna say, i thought they were banned from uk. does anyone know why? are there reports of 'mad' ones eating people! what does it take to ban a dog.... just some official who doesnt like the look of them, and knows nothing about the breed i'll bet!
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 01:16 PM
well the media is the main instigator
CBT
Dogsey Senior

10-03-2005, 03:12 PM
I saw some advertised fairly recently not sure how genuine the advertiser was? I think the Dogo Argentino being added to the DDA was an example of the extreme knee jerk reactions often seen in this country as the dogo argentino was originally developed as a hunting dog it was never intended to be a specific fighting breed.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by CBT
I saw some advertised fairly recently not sure how genuine the advertiser was? I think the Dogo Argentino being added to the DDA was an example of the extreme knee jerk reactions often seen in this country as the dogo argentino was originally developed as a hunting dog it was never intended to be a specific fighting breed.
From what I heard CBT it was not very genuine I was told that the dog was an AB or cross (cannot remember) but I was told it was a bit of a con....
CBT
Dogsey Senior

10-03-2005, 03:52 PM
Im not keen on the dogo anyway as they are bred to be predominantly white and colour patches are penalised a sure fire way of ensuring the breed retains its deafness problem I think they probably started as a half decent hunting dog, but now I think they are mostly kept for pet and show, as with many other breeds, leading them on an ever downward spiral.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Ohh it is one breed that has always been top of my list, even the show ones I have seen tend to look good and apparently healthy...I do like them but FAR too big for me lol. I am only 5ft I could use something like that as a pony lol.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

10-03-2005, 03:59 PM
I would like them more if they came in other colours than just white
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >