Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 11:00 AM

Puppy crying in crate

Cooper has been using his crate at night and isn't too bad with it, he cries a little bit then goes to sleep.
Today I popped him in his crate when i went out to see the horses as he isn't big enough to come with me yet, I was told to cover his crate during the day and he goes to sleep, but he cried a lot it really upset me.
I was as quick as i could be and got home, my lad Sam looked quite distressed and sniffed at the crate when i got home (although Cooper was quiet) and Cooper was a bit off with me, i took him outside for a pee and he didn't bound back to me when i told he was good like he has been doing, he just walked up to Sam and took himself over to the back door to go in. I scooped him up and he has been asleep on my lap ever since.
He had been in a crate at his foster home so i assumed he was used to it.

I have never used a crate before, i am wondering whether something like a kong with some nice food in it that he only gets when in his crate would work? to try and make it a nice experience for him?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Oh poor little guy, he got really upset by the sounds of it, and it might be a good idea to check him all over (which you've probably already done!) just in case he's hurt himself somewhere, maybe caught his paws or something trying to get out? Hopefully not though.

I wouldn't cover it in the daytime, but I would definitely put his favourite toys in there, and yes, a kong with some little treats in it, or frozen yoghurt or a raw carrot, anything to keep him occupied.

The fact that your other dog was a bit unsettled though, just makes me wonder if he caught his paw??? Take a good look at those front paws won't you, and hope all is well.

Maybe put him in there for 15 minutes when you're HOME, and see how he goes, then he'll be more used to it when you want to pop out in the daytime. I did that with mine, and although she objected to going in there during the daytime, she always had something "nice" in there and soon settled. Good luck.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
Cooper has been using his crate at night and isn't too bad with it, he cries a little bit then goes to sleep.
Today I popped him in his crate when i went out to see the horses as he isn't big enough to come with me yet, I was told to cover his crate during the day and he goes to sleep, but he cried a lot it really upset me.
I was as quick as i could be and got home, my lad Sam looked quite distressed and sniffed at the crate when i got home (although Cooper was quiet) and Cooper was a bit off with me, i took him outside for a pee and he didn't bound back to me when i told he was good like he has been doing, he just walked up to Sam and took himself over to the back door to go in. I scooped him up and he has been asleep on my lap ever since.
He had been in a crate at his foster home so i assumed he was used to it.

I have never used a crate before, i am wondering whether something like a kong with some nice food in it that he only gets when in his crate would work? to try and make it a nice experience for him?
It probably isn't just the crate, but more the fact he was left alone. You have only had him a couple of days, right? if so, he will still be unsettled. Don't expect the whining to stop just yet.

I wouldn't cover the whole crate. Why not put your other dogs bed next to crate so he has company next to him?
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-05-2010, 11:32 AM
great idea that putting the other dogs bed next to the puppies crate, i did that with mine last year and it worked a treat.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-05-2010, 11:35 AM
A Kong with some peanut butter wouldn't hurt. Freezing it would make it last longer. Be careful not to get carried away with it. Too much other than a dogs regular kibble isn't good for it. You can mix part of his regular ration of kibble with the peanut butter in the Kong.

Covering the crate is a popular technique. There are some dogs that will pull in a blanker of something and shred it. One of the main purposes of a crate is to keep things a dog can shred away from it. Shredding things can lead to choking and intestinal blockages as well as destroy stuff. You need to be very careful about what some dogs have access to in a crate.

The problem could be he has been left in the crate too long. I am a big believer in crates, but hate to see any dog left over 4-5 hours, crate or no crate. As he learns you will be back before long, he may do better.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Did you cover the whole crate? You need to leave one side uncovered, preferably the front - good idea from someone else to crate him for a short period when you are in the house and build it up from there.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks everyone.

He seems fine physically, I was worried he may pull open his hernia stitches but everything looks intact.
He has had a nap, a cuddle and his lunch and he is back to his cuddly lovable self now, he was obviously not amused!

I put one of the dog beds opposite the crate but I am not sure they used it, they were both in the hall when I came home.

I didn't put any toys in with him but I did put his cushion in with him that he likes, I will try a couple of his toys in with him tomorrow.
I will run out and grab him a kong tonight and give that a try tomorrow. Is peanut butter ok for a 9 week old? He ate a bit of my collies carrot yesterday after watching her, I was paranoid he may choke on it, so maybe only non chokeable things for when I am not around
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Lol, you're just like I was with the non chokeable stuff, you should have seen me when I gave mine a tripe stick I worried the whole of the way through it!!!

Toys are an absolute must, maybe a frozen tuggy tope (mine liked those), or a frozen carrot which he can't actually bite through, and I'd go easy on that peanut butter, just a teaspoonful of it mixed in with some treats, otherwise you'll be risking an upset tum. Mine used to love a kong stuffed with bio yoghurt which I had frozen (rather than peanut butter), and some treats. Good luck!
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 12:44 PM
I just tried them all with some peanut butter I found in the cupboard and Cooper loved it!

Is natural yoghurt ok for him to eat? I might mix a small amount of peanut butter with some yoghurt and freeze it in a kong for him.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Peanut butter is no problem from 7 weeks as long as you don't over do it. I always make sure I leave a Nylabone or other sturdy toy with a puppy. Cushions are an individual thing. As long as the dog doesn't chew it up, they are fine.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >