Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 11:11 AM

what age to start training?

What age would be ok to start teaching a small jump and a couple of weaves?

Len's 71/2 months now and he does jump over things when he's loose out the woods and he twists and turns allot when playing with other dogs..

It wouldnt be much just a couple of bits in the garden.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 11:16 AM
OOH IT DEPENDS REALLY EVERY DOG IS DIFFERENT SOME START THEM EARLY SOME WHEN THERE ABOUT 10-11MTHS OLD MINE HAVE JUST RECENTLY STARTED THE BIGGER JUMPS BUT WHEN THEY WERE ABOUT 1 THEY WERE LEARNING WEAVING SMALL JUMPS IF YOUR DOGS ARE HAPPY AND YOUR HAPPY WITH THEM DOING IT GO FOR IT THEY WILL ENJOY IT JUST START SMALL FIRST
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Hi, I'm not an expert in the field of agility but, it's generally considered that a dog isn't mature enough until at least 12 months of age as bones are still developing and setting and may easily be damaged with too much stress being put on them before then. I'm sure someone will be along soon with more helpful advise.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by bluemerle lover View Post
OOH IT DEPENDS REALLY EVERY DOG IS DIFFERENT SOME START THEM EARLY SOME WHEN THERE ABOUT 10-11MTHS OLD MINE HAVE JUST RECENTLY STARTED THE BIGGER JUMPS BUT WHEN THEY WERE ABOUT 1 THEY WERE LEARNING WEAVING SMALL JUMPS IF YOUR DOGS ARE HAPPY AND YOUR HAPPY WITH THEM DOING IT GO FOR IT THEY WILL ENJOY IT JUST START SMALL FIRST
Hi Jen, Sorry must have cross posted !
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 11:24 AM
HIYA KATH AWW NO PROBS YOUR RIGHT THERE THOUGH STARTING TO EARLY CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS AS THERE STILL GROWING I KNOW DOGS JUMP AT YOUR AGES BUT WHEN ITS AGILITY JUMPS ITS A STRAIN ON THERE LEGS AS THE BONES HAVE NOT PROPERLEY DEVELOPED AND LEG MUSCLES ARE NOT FULLY BUT I GUESS SMALL JUMPS WOULDNT HURT AS LONG AS ITS ONLY SMALL SESSIONS i STILL HAVE TO WATCH MINE CAREFULLY EVEN AT 2YRS OLD
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 11:38 AM
As above - provided the jumps aren't too high and you don't over do it then I would think ok. Most clubs don't take beginners until 12 m as above. And for my breed I wouldn't consider starting until 18m as they take a long time for their bones to develop (as well as being scatterbrains).

Regarding the weaves - again this requires quite alot of flexibility so just take it easy and don't overdo it!

Keeping the jumps small is key I would say.

Have fun - hope your little man enjoys it!
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 12:18 PM
thanks for all the replies...

so if its in moderation over a very small jump he should be ok?

I don't think he's going to grow much more really already about 20 inches! but i might still leave it a bit longer.. don't want to give him any injuries.
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2007, 12:20 PM
You can just start with the jump poles on the ground, it isn't the actual jumping most dogs have a problem with. Taught like this, the dog will learn the jump as an obstacle, that he has to pas through the wings of the jump.
I would not do any weaving til he is a year old.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 12:21 PM
IF THERE SMALL JUMPS HE SHOULD BE ALRIGHT BUT IN SMALL MODERATION THE LAST THING YOU WANT IS AN INJURY BEEN THERE DONE THAT AS YOU SAY HES ONLY 71/2 MONTHS OLD STILL REALLY YOUNG YET ID LEVAE IT FOR A WHILE AND CONCENTATE ON OTHER THINGS HE MAY ENJOY LIKE FETCH OR EVEN TRICKS LIKE ROLL OVER,GIVE PAW ETC THAT CAN BE ALOT OF FUN AND WITHOUT INJURYS
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2007, 12:29 PM
thanks ok will leave it for a bit plenty of other things to work on
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >