Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Starhope
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2011, 07:28 PM

Dog behaviour and pregnancy

I am a volunteer for a German Shepherd Rescue and over the last year I have come across two different types of behaviour in two seperate rescue GSD's which I personally think are related to the owner being pregnant.

1.Entire, house trained ,1 year old male GSD who started peeing in the house and showing fearful signs (flinching when he was clapped - as if he had been beaten up), and destruction of the wall.

2.Approx 2y/o male, neutered (for only two days - so entire hormones still around) and bit a visiting male family member without warning.

I am interested to know if any one else has seen any similar change in behaviour symptoms in their dog when they/partner was pregnant?

Does anyone know if any studies have been carried out in relation to this topic
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Starhope View Post
1.Entire, house trained ,1 year old male GSD who started peeing in the house and showing fearful signs (flinching when he was clapped - as if he had been beaten up), and destruction of the wall.

Not sure I understand this?

2.Approx 2y/o male, neutered (for only two days - so entire hormones still around) and bit a visiting male family member without warning.

I am interested to know if any one else has seen any similar change in behaviour symptoms in their dog when they/partner was pregnant?

Does anyone know if any studies have been carried out in relation to this topic

I think you are making 2 + 2 = 5 here.

Male GSD change enormously between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3. Without further information no conclusions can be drawn ie

Genetics of dog
Environment
Triggers etc.

Personally I would not make such gigantic leaps and look for something far more prosaic..........
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 07:58 PM
I can only speak from my own experience, no idea of proper research into it, sorry. I'm 30 weeks pregnant, first pregnancy..

My male - not an ounce of difference in him.

My female has become more nervy when me and my hubby raise our voices to each other () she cowers, ears down, tail drops and swaying...never has displayed this behaviour before in 4 years, not sure where the cowering comes from, she's never been hit, never even yelled at... when told a firm no her instinct has always been to run off in play mode or wagged her tail excitedly as if to make it into a game.

(positive to it is that we now don't shout and argue at all!!! because it 'upsets the dog' lol)
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 08:12 PM
When I was pregnant, my bitch went SUPER protective! Even to the point of barking at random people (she doesn't react to people AT ALL normally). Then when the son was born, they went really protective over us until I made it my business to let them know he is my problem, not theirs. They're fine now

I'm sure that she knew I was pregnant before I did!
Starhope
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I think you are making 2 + 2 = 5 here.

Male GSD change enormously between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3. Without further information no conclusions can be drawn ie

Genetics of dog
Environment
Triggers etc.

Personally I would not make such gigantic leaps and look for something far more prosaic..........
And here was me thinking I was starting an interesting topic and looking for other people's experiences of similar situations which I am sure are caused by a change in hormones of pregnancy, and the smells which the dog will be sensitive too (albeit not all dogs will change in character/behaviour).

The dogs I am discussing showed none of these behaviours prior to the pregnancy and the first stopped it's behaviours immediately when removed from the pregnant female.

Just to clarify the bit you don't understand, this dog became hand shy as described by Akitagirl in the above post.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 08:27 PM
I worried Keisha would become more protective, i hear that's a common one, but she's surprisingly not got any worse, (thank goodness, she's bad enough at the window barking at any stranger who enters the cul de sac and anyone who DARE come down our drive!). Maybe when the baby is here she'll get worse then!

The hand shy/cowering thing is wierd though isn't it...i can't make sense of it, why...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 08:29 PM
I do not understand why you would clap a dog?????????
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Starhope View Post
And here was me thinking I was starting an interesting topic and looking for other people's experiences of similar situations which I am sure are caused by a change in hormones of pregnancy, and the smells which the dog will be sensitive too (albeit not all dogs will change in character/behaviour).

The dogs I am discussing showed none of these behaviours prior to the pregnancy and the first stopped it's behaviours immediately when removed from the pregnant female.

You failed to mention this in your first post and in any case that does not mean that pregnancy alone caused these behaviours, it MAY have been A factor but we will never know as the dog was removed and thus it MAY have been the environment, it MAY have been his hormones, it MAY have been boredom, it MAY have been because he was underexercised mentally or physically, it MAY have been due (insert anything at all)

Just to clarify the bit you don't understand, this dog became hand shy as described by Akitagirl in the above post.

Really two random instances of behaviours which could have multifactorial triggers hardly constitutes a scientific study!
Starhope
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Really two random instances of behaviours which could have multifactorial triggers hardly constitutes a scientific study!
Yes it may be just a coincidence and that's why I am asking on here for people's experiences and opinions. I didn't come on to be shot down in flames

Your opinion is quite clear thank you

And at no point did I say I had carried out a scientific study, I did ask if any such study had been carried out!
Starhope
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2011, 08:44 PM
I do not understand why you would clap a dog?????????
Clap is a Scottish term for 'pat' or 'stroke' or 'pet'

Oh look something new for you
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >