Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mazhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2009, 12:00 PM

Increased whining habit in greyhound

Hello all,

We have had Bones the retired greyhound for about 6 months now. Everything is going fantastically, but over the past few months he has taken to whining theatrically in various situations.

Examples of situations where Bones will whine are: in anticipation of his walks (i.e. if his lead is not on at the exact time it should be, dramatic whining ensues) or if one of us disappears into the bathroom.

Initially I didn't view this as behaviour that needed to be corrected (the sympathy angle!) but now it is escalating. It's annoying! Does whining constitute 'bad behaviour'? We try to ignore him and not give him a reaction, but perhaps we aren't succeeding as he continues to be a big drama queen! Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mazhound
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 12:46 PM
One of my greyhounds Wizard whines all the time, he always has i think he always will to be honest. It doesn't really bother me its just his way of talking to me i think to let me know he wants something. He whines to get his lead on, he whines when i'm preparing his food, he whines when he wants to go toilet, he whines to come back inside when he's been out, the list is endless!! It's part of him and i wouldn't change him although it can be a tad annoying at times bless him.

I have just read what iv'e written and iv'e been no help to you at all!!! Sorry
Mazhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Ha ha, actually it is useful to know that it might be normal for him. It's quite an emotive sound (like a kid crying!) so it's easy to think that he's upset. I like the idea of seeing it as communication.
ticketann
New Member!
Female 

21-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Well if you don't like it then make sure that the behaviour isn't rewarded. e.g. if he whines when you get the lead out then put the lead down and walk away, if he whines when you start getting the food out then put it down and walk out of the room - he'll soon get the idea.
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-08-2009, 03:18 PM
I have a lurcher that whinges it drives me crazy I have put up with 13 years of it and now he is going deaf and can't see as well he is alot quieter.
He use to whine at everything just the antisipation of things, the more I would tell him to shut up the worst he got.
Best to try and ignore but hard to at times. I have his brother from the same litter and he doesn't make a sound
spot
Dogsey Veteran

21-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Mazhound View Post
Hello all,

We have had Bones the retired greyhound for about 6 months now. Everything is going fantastically, but over the past few months he has taken to whining theatrically in various situations.

Examples of situations where Bones will whine are: in anticipation of his walks (i.e. if his lead is not on at the exact time it should be, dramatic whining ensues) or if one of us disappears into the bathroom.

Initially I didn't view this as behaviour that needed to be corrected (the sympathy angle!) but now it is escalating. It's annoying! Does whining constitute 'bad behaviour'? We try to ignore him and not give him a reaction, but perhaps we aren't succeeding as he continues to be a big drama queen! Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mazhound
Oh the wonders of owning a greyhound!

Must say my own and long term fosters have to varying degrees whined – it is a greyhound thing, they are not a very vocal breed and many seem to whine (or sing) instead of barking. It really is a way that greys use to communicate perhaps more so than other breeds. If it is getting annoying I would try and continue as you have now started and ignore, it can and will take time for him to get his head round it, as they are very sensitive dogs I would only ever use ignore as a training method for this sort of thing.

They are also very very big on routine some even to the point of only want to go on their usual walk as such and stressing if deviated from, funny creatures our greys.

Of course he could just be whining at you to say can I have a friend please
Mazhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks everyone. It seems to be a greyhound thing then! Now I know that it doesn't mean he's unhappy, I don't mind it so much. I think the reason it has increased so much over the months must be part of him letting his personality come out. When we first adopted him he was distant and detached. It's nice to think that perhaps he's trying to connect with us!