View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-07-2004, 11:27 AM
[quote="Barbara"]I think only best should be bred to best, but showing doesn't always support that. Many times fads within a breed change and best is not being bred at all. In the US much of the time from what I've heard, winning is based on how well you are in the in crowd, who lends their timeshare in the Riviera to the judges, etc. Is it like that in the UK?]

Hi Barbara I guess there is a certain element of that in all things competative, that goes for cheating too. In my book I would not enjoy winning anything had I not done so fairly There is also a tendancy for breed judges to 'play safe' and place highly a dog they know is doing well rather than risk making a judgement on a new dog. I once handled a Ch bitch with a lot of CCs in the veteran class while her owner handled a new young dog waiting to be 'made up' in another class. We took a number of dogs to support the classes at the show in what was then an newish breed. Most breed judges (as do people who show that breed) know all the dogs in that breed being regularly shown (in a breed with small numbers). The judge, an all rounder, looked at me and then at the bitch with a puzzled look, he obviously recognised the famous bitch and not me but I did still won the first I have not shown for years and would not wish to do so now for a number of reasons, but I can still go to shows and look ..and pick the best dogs
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

02-07-2004, 11:35 AM
So right Mini.

When I used to show a lot a crowd of us would often swap dogs for fun. I have also been at a Champ show where is was well known that a certain dog would win the CC and Best of Breed that day as it was his last show before retiring and it would break the record for CCs held in our breed. Having said that not all judges are so biased that they will only place well known dogs some go out of their way to place unknowns to upset the applecart and also withhold placings if they think the dogs do not deserve them.
Meg
Supervisor

02-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Dozeydanes
Over here the latest Champion get used by everyone which shrinks the gene pool especially in certain colours. I think a good example of the breed is as good as any Champion, although I have chosen a Champion for Lilly's next mating but he is typical of what I like in a Dane the Champion bit is an added bonus.
DD yes that used to be even more of a problem within a breed with small numbers, everyone using the top winning dog on everything

One of the reasons I do not think it is essential to show dogs in order to breed (particularly in a breed with small numbers) is that by saying you only want those who show to breed you are restricting the numbers even more. You can have someone say a young person or someone who is unable to travel to shows (for a number of reasons) but who buys what turns out to be a super bitch (we are not always right when choosing the pick of the litter) and with the help and advice of a breeder this person can breed a fantastic litter many of whom will be booked before they are born. Take Gems for instance, she may not be able to afford to show on top of everything else, BUT she is young and enthusiastic and with a little help could get started on the road to breeding and maybe show later. Good luck to her..new breed new young blood
Meg
Supervisor

02-07-2004, 12:01 PM
So right Mini.

When I used to show a lot a crowd of us would often swap dogs for fun. I have also been at a Champ show where is was well known that a certain dog would win the CC and Best of Breed that day as it was his last show before retiring and it would break the record for CCs held in our breed. Having said that not all judges are so biased that they will only place well known dogs some go out of their way to place unknowns to upset the applecart and also withhold placings if they think the dogs do not deserve them.
Yes DD not even top dogs look their best and deserve to win every day (says she who on passing a shop window this morning caught a glimps of an old hag..then realised it was herself ops: )
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

02-07-2004, 01:36 PM
I contantly look like I have been dragged through a hedge backwards.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2004, 02:32 PM
me two!
my look normally entails 20 labradors leaping on me! also being chewed by lab pups.
Meg
Supervisor

02-07-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Gems
me two!
my look normally entails 20 labradors leaping on me! also being chewed by lab pups.
O my god Gems I have got the wrong specs on and nearly died of shock..thought you said you have the ''entrails of 20 labradors leaping all over you'' going to throw up!!!
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2004, 03:37 PM
nooo silly!
that would make me look like id been dragged through a hedge backwards!
Meg
Supervisor

02-07-2004, 03:40 PM
I contantly look like I have been dragged through a hedge backwards.
Not to worry DD just tell everone you are the doggy equivalent of ''shabby chic''..thats what I do.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2004, 03:42 PM
i think i give shabby chic a whole new meaning!
but then again i dont care what i look like, i care about my dogs !
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >