Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
~sophie~
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2008, 03:59 PM

My dog has diarrhea

My 6 year old dog has had diarrhea for weeks on and off.
We took her to the vets last week and she gave her antibiotics and also probiotic. Whilst she was on them her poo's were a little better more soft than the runs but since she stopped taking them it's come back with vengeance.

We have had her on plain rice for ages but the vet suggested some dry food for sensitive dogs so have bought some of that and tried her with it today. She loves it, she has been starving poor love, she would eat anything if she could.

She is fine in herself and is still bright and chirpy even plays with our other dog no problem.

I just wish the runs would stop, there is now blood in it too, she really strains to pass it and it just drips out and her bum looks really sore.

I am going to see how she is tomorrow then take her back to the vets. I am worried sick in case it's something really bad.
I am already heart broken as one of my cats was run over and died a couple of weeks ago, I don't don't know what I'd do if I lost Roxy too

Any ideas as to what it could be?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Try Immodium, if you let me know the weight of your dog I will suggest a dosage. Or you could ask the vet if they would extend the course of ABs.
~sophie~
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Try Immodium, if you let me know the weight of your dog I will suggest a dosage. Or you could ask the vet if they would extend the course of ABs.
She's about 12 kilos
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 04:20 PM
One of my dogs can only eat boiled rice with either chicken or fish lightly cooked . If I try to give her anything else she has diarhoea . She has been like that for about a year and seems quite healthy for a 13 year old dog .
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by ~sophie~ View Post
She's about 12 kilos
In which case I would use one a day, if possible half in the morning and the other half at tea time but if that is not possible give one in the morning.
~sophie~
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
In which case I would use one a day, if possible half in the morning and the other half at tea time but if that is not possible give one in the morning.
Thanks for the advice think I will try that and maybe some live yoghurt in with her food

How long should it take to work?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by ~sophie~ View Post
Thanks for the advice think I will try that and maybe some live yoghurt in with her food

How long should it take to work?
Would take it easy with the yogurt until the stomach has settled, some dogs are lactose intolerant and if your is it will make matters worse, once the dog has recovered then that is fine to put some microbes that may have been removed either by the ABs or the diarrhoea.
~sophie~
New Member!
Female 

23-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Do you think it would be ok to put some sudacreme on her bum as it looks really sore....Mind you if I do she could lick it off and that could make it worse.

Argh not sure what to do
artemis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Hi Sophie!

I would be inclined to take a stool sample to the vets to be tested. Not sure but seems the vet has not made a specific diagnosis? Could be infection. Could be dietary e.g. gluten intolerance etc. The blood in the stool is indicative of both infection but also when you have prolonged periods of diarrhoea the bowel becomes inflamed and blood may well be present. I would be inclined to put some kind of barrier cream on her bum as constant diarrhoea will excoriate the skin. Dont think sudocreme will hurt much if ingested but excessive licking will make it more sore. One other thing that I would do if it is pouring out her like a tap is not to feed her for 24hrs. Just give boiled water. If symptoms are just as bad I would follow the course I have advised. Please try not to worry!
~sophie~
New Member!
Female 

24-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Well went to the vet this morning with sample, there was lots she decorated the whole of the kitchen floor last night

Only problem is they won't get the results until the weekend at the earliest. The vet has given me more prokalin i think it's called and said to feed her little and often...Have tried imodium but still no change...Is there anything else we can try?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >