Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rickmyster
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-06-2009, 05:14 PM

leaving puppy during the day

were gonna start trying to leave our boxer pup in his crate during the day so he's used to getting left(cause lets face it we cant take them everywhere )

how's the best way to do it in terms of leaving him do i settle him then go or litterally just put him in and walk away.

ive done it twice today for 10 mins at a time and just went upstairs. and he barked. do i just continue letting him bark or how do i prevent this? (because obviously sometimes i wont be in to control him lol)
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 05:18 PM
when i did this with jake i just put him in his crate with toys and chews to keep him entertained, and didnt leave him very long, gradually increasing the time. i just put him in and walked away. he barked and whined a lot at first and i just left him to bark but gradually he got used to it and he barks less now. now when i leave he just gives a couple barks and then settles. good luck
rickmyster
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-06-2009, 05:23 PM
yeah im gonna do it gradually sort of 10-15 minutes couple of times a day.

if you come back or whatver and he's still making a fuss do you wait till he calms down to let him out
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 08:11 AM
I would let him get used to the crate first so he sees it as a safe plce rather than somewhere he is put away. Just leave crate out with door open and put in toys and treats so he see's it as fun. Once he is happily going in and out of the crate with the door open then start shutting the door very briefly with you there then go on to the leaving him alone.
Becky
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 08:20 AM
I got my pup a kong and she only gets it if she is being left . You can put all sorts of treats in it and as others have said just gradually build up the time you leave him
Don't try to settle him and in fact don't sit and cuddle him for example just before you go out or that will only make it harder for him when you go
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Hi,

I'm no expert as none of my dogs are crate trained.

I do think though that you need to make sure your pup is 100% comfortable and happy to be in his crate with the door closed. Build it up by first putting in a few treats, toys and keep something back that's of high value to him - whether it's a Kong with something tasty inside or his favourtie toy etc. Keep that one thing for times when you leave him. Once he's used to goin gin and out of the crate start closing the door for a couple of minutes ata time. Build it up in the same way by increasing the time bit by bit.

Personally, I'd leave him for a few minutes at a time to begin with. Once you start increasingf th time though, wait until he's stopped barking and has settled himself down befor eyou go back. If you don't then he'll learn that you'll come back when he's still making noise. Then if you go shopping fo r afew hours he'll be barking for a few hours and driving everyone nuts.

He'll bark and whine the first few times, maybe even a dozen times but he'll learn quickly enough. Plus, he'll have his tasty treats and his "special" treat when you leave him. As soon as he sees it, he'll assocaite it with you going out so he'll know he's to be in his crate for a time.

I don't think you'll have any problems at all. How old is your pup? They learn very quickly when they're young so now is the time to teach him how to be alone.

Also, it's goo that you can't or won't take him e4verywhere with you. I started taking Zane plaes with me when he was small and now I have an 8 stone, 3 ft high, big furry, wimpy GSD who's a real Mummy's boy an won't leave my side unless he really has to. It's nice at times but he even follows me to the bathroom!

Good luck.

Laura xx
rickmyster
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-06-2009, 12:33 PM
thanks guy's.

he's had his crate since thursday and seems ok in it he goes in there a bit by himself(not as much as id like but he's getting better and i know it takes time) he sleeps in there on a night and ive got his toys and teddys in there and his blankets.

he has a kong but im unsure what to put in it as i dont want to gibe him tooo much of something thta could upset his tummy. any suggestions?

He's 9 weeks today lol

i know its along process just i dont want him to associate the cage with "being left "
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi, we got a crate for the same reason and also to stop her chewing the house, we built up the time she was in it and put in a nice cosy blanket and made it snug and put some treats and a kong in. She has no hesitation to go in it but does bark and howl when i walk away but i ignore her and she soon settles down. Also i leave her a item of clothing of mine so she feels close to me still.

She is a mummys girl and follows me everywhere just like stumpywop says her boy does, its very amusing but annoying at the same time, they mostly come on holiday with us as well.